Fender Twin Reverb-less 65 RI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb-less 65 RI

In the past week I took my amp to the shop twice and when I just brought it back home I replaced the old power tubes with JJ6L6s. However, when I was biasing the amp, I could only get it to go as high as 32mA, where the bias pot would be fully turned.
    Then I attempted to play the amp, running only my guitar, the amp, and the corresponding footpedal for the amp's vibrato and reverb, yet the reverb would not work. I could turn the tremelo effect on and off just fine with the switch, but turning on the reverb would just add a slight static to the sound, almost as if it were adding gain. Note - the trademark spring-tap sound that usually occurs when turning reverb off/on does not happen, nor did any other distinct single noise.
    a) Is it possible that these two problems are related?
    &b) is there any troubleshooting I can do to avoid the further humiliation of going back to an amp tech?

Did you put the old tubes back in it and see if it works ok ? New tubes can be bad out of box as they aren't always tested although they tell you that they are. If the amp's reverb doesn't work and gets gainy when the pot is turned tells me that it is oscillating and has lead dress or preamp tube issues. If that is the case then the tech may have done something that caused it while repairing it. Hate to be the bear of bad news but I'd send it back and see wtf is going on with it.
    KB

Comment

check the reverb cable connections at the chassis and at the tank

Comment

not that the reverb isn't a bigger issue, but the bias problem is more confusing to me because I can't really see how that can happen. can anyone explain it to me?

Comment

Working...
        X