My latest build. A 5e3 clone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Archer View Post
    Hi, can you folks tell me how you install your speakers. I was just going to use normals bolts and nuts but doing it this way would mean if I wanted to change speaker in would have to dismantle the grill cloth from the baffle before I could loosen the bolts. Are there any special bolts/screws that are used for this application.

George
    Hi George,
    One really good way to install the bolts if you can't find t-nuts would be to put a drop of epoxy or contact cement on the last 1/2 inch of bolt under the head. then screw it into the hole and put a nut on the back to hold it straight while it sets up. I drill the hole slightly undersize so the bolt is a snug fit. Once the epoxy cures it will hold the bolt tightly in the hole and won't spin when you install or remove the nut. It works even better if you use countersunk bolts and get some under the head.
    Last edited by sportster4eva; 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM. Reason: clarity
    Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
    http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gee View Post
      sportster4eva - Your build is an inspiration. I cant believe how straight you have made the filament wires. That truly is a skill.
      Thanks Gee! Solid wire works great.. I like the way it holds it's shape.
      Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
      http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

Run to the local hardware store and buy some 8-32 TEE nuts.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/41724.jpg

Use TEE nuts mounted with the pointed parts from the outside of the baffle board, through a larger 1/4" dia hole in the baffle so threaded barrel part of the TEE nut slides right in but the points are on the outside and have to be lightly driven into the baffel board.
        Paint the baffle board and the TEE nuts flat black so they will not be seen through the grille cloth.
        When mounting the speaker, make sure the actual 8-32 machine screw tips are also black and you use screw lengths long enough to just barely come out the other side of the TEE nut.
        Just a thread or two so the vibrating grille cloth will never hit the tip of the screw because if it does hit the grille cloth it will eventually make a hole in it!

The OT has two taps, 4 and 8 ohms.
        They should be used with correct speaker loads and not really at the same time.

You can use the 4 ohm tap by using the internal 8 ohm speaker and running that speaker in parallel with another 4 ohm to 16 ohm speaker, with 8 being the preference.
        I have a customer who use three 12" 8 ohm speakers.
        A light weight, low power tweed Twin sized 2x12 bottom at 4 ohms with the single 8 ohm 5E3 cabinet on top and it's internal speaker... all three in parallel. Not a problem because the total load with that set up is just a little under 3 ohms, ... 2.67 ohms.
        The 4 ohm tap works just fine anyhow like this and the combo sounds great, even though the mismatch lowers the primary zed of the OT and more of the actual power goes to the 2x12 bottom then the single 12" in the amp cabinet.

For an easy solution, plug two parallel 8 ohm speakers with a Y cable into the 4 ohm speaker jack.

However, what I do is usually run a parallel pair of wires from the actual combo cabinet speaker, over to a new 1/4 mono jack that is externally mounted on the inside of the very same tweed cabinet.
        Then all you do is plug your new auxillary 8 ohm cabinet into that jack.
        Now just unplug the 5E3 cabinet's mounted speaker plug out of the 8 ohm jack and pop it into the 4 ohm tap.
        Now both the internal and the external speakers are in parallel for 4 ohms and the total load is plugged into the 4 ohm tap of the OT.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

sorry I misspoke...my tweedy kits came with the origianl single impedence OT(8-ohm).

I'd suggest a y-cable connected to the 4-ohm jack if you want to use both the internal speaker and an external 8-ohm cab.

Comment

George,
            Ruby Tubes sells speaker baffle bolts that have 8/32 machine screws and near the head have a short section of left-handed wood screw thread. You can drill a hole in your baffle and put these in from the front, even use a dab of glue on them to help if you wish and you don't have to ever worry about them coming out. They were used on some older amps and radios, I like them more than T nuts, easier to use. As Bruce suggested, paint the baffle black and they won't be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
              sorry I misspoke...my tweedy kits came with the origianl single impedence OT(8-ohm).
              Right. Still a great OT but that was about 250 Tweedy Deluxe amps ago.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I actually live in Germany so we don't have any Lowes or Home depots here. I tried the internet at these sites but couldn't find anything about the nuts so I'll keep trying.

Cheers

George
                Hi George I live in Germany too you can get T-Nuts in any hardware store here. I don't remember the German word, just go to the aisle with the screws, they'll be there.

steven

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I'm going to Hornbach today so I will see what I can find.

Cheers

George

Comment

George,

I know that Tee nuts are available in Europe; I have a little Marshall combo that came with metric Tee nuts for mounting the speaker.

steve

Thanks for the replys.

I'm going to Hornbach today so I will see what I can find.

Cheers

George

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                      George,

Look for a product called a T-nut. They're sold at Lowes, Home Depot, and hardware stores.

steve
                      I have been searching for these in the UK and finally found some at B&Q. They have 6mm Tee Nuts which are perfect for 12" speakers.

Comment

Working...
                      X