Tone Stack Calculator - Traynor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Stack Calculator - Traynor

I was wondering which tonestack would be best to simulate the Traynor 2 knob tonestack? It's very close to the Fender 2 knob but a little bit different... which is just the 3 knob with the mid control as a fixed resistor... any ideas? The Duncan TSC has no traynor layout..
    I just can't seem to get a YBA2b to where I want it and would like to see a graphical representation. Thnx

download a spice sim ap called 5spice- I use it for any complex tone stack and frequency shaping calculations that I can't easily do using algebra. it's pretty easy to use and get results that look a lot like Duncan's ap.

jamie

Comment

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to spice - it would probably take me a week to construct the simulation! But it is a cool little piece of software. Are there any sites that provide models of common circuits such as a Fender 2 knob tonestack that can be downloaded and edited?

Comment

IMO, better just sacrifice the extra time and go through that learning curve of SPICE. After that you can simulate any tonestack design and any of its countless variations, including all the active tone control circuits. Not to mention complete circuits.

Comment

+1, except I prefer LTSpice from Linear Technology.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I've downloaded both... I am certainly interested in learning spice but am trying to get an amp back to a client on time so spice is not an option at the moment. I guess I'm stuck with simply replacing components/a/b-ing them by switch.. generally speaking I know what components to alter but was looking for a way to quickly change values and get an idea of how new values interact with the circuit...

Comment

you don't really have to "learn spice" to simulate a tone control. If you download 5spice I can send you a few basic tone controls- I'll zip up all of my saved files if you prefer. Once the "signal gen" and measurement criteria are set you can just click and drag pots, caps and resistors to form a given tone circuit. I'm pretty sure using my saved files will allow you to change values like duncan's TSC but also allow you to move components around.

Frankly 5spice is a mediocre spice ap- it's just free so it makes it easy to share things with others.

jamie

Comment

Jamie... that would be a huge help. I have both LTSpice and 5spice. I played around with 5spice for a bit and put together schematics doesn't seem hard but I'll have to run through a tutorial or something to start running the simulation correctly. I have often wanted to use spice but always put it off... now is as good a time as any! Thanks so much for the zip...

Comment

Working...
                X