Crate Stealth GT50 doesn't have any Vol on Dst channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Stealth GT50 doesn't have any Vol on Dst channel

Hello to everyone. I just joined this forum.
    Good to be here.
    My Crate Stealth GT50 doesn't have any Volume on Dst channel.
    Plenty of volume through the clean channel, but just a whisper from the dist channel. Anybody know any things to try? I've already replaced the 3 12ax7's. Did not try replacing the 6v6's. I have spare sets of el34's and 6l6's, but no 6v6's and was not sure i could swap them. Makes me wonder why i would hear full volume through clean channel if the tubes were bad anyways.
    I really just wanted to get this going as a back up while my Mark IV boogie is sent off for repair. Then it can serve as a main amp for my 15 year old step son who is just joining a band.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Since the clean works, it can;t be your power tubes.

YOu have tried other 12AX7s, so I tend to think it is not a bad tube.

SO look down the row of 12AX7s with the room lights off. Each one should have two little orange glowing spots. ANy with just one?

There is a bunch of solid state stuff in the dirt channel, so since it is not some very basic tube issue, we now need to chase the signal through the channel to see where it disappears.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It glows

Thanks for the reply, Yes, all three 12ax7's have two glowing spots. They look equal. Power tubes look visually okay too. A NEW DEVELOPMENT. Since i had it on, i thought i would tr playing through it again. Okay, now i REALLY do have full volume on my clean channel and some volume on my lead channel. What i thought was full volume on my clean channel the other day, obviously wasn't". As i said, my lead channel does have some volume now, but the sound is castrated. No distortion. If i pick really hard i can hear the sound "breaking up" as though the headroom is being squashed, but no hint of distortion otherwise. I tried turning all the knobs several times, just in case on may be shorted, no luck though.I have my fluke meter ready and waiting for your next troubleshooting step. Thanks for helping. As a side note, i looked at Mesa Boogie MarkIV to check the 12ax7 tubes in the same fashion. They were fine but my power tubes are glowing bright purple. even after one minute of being on i couldn't touch them. ouch! is that normal. The Crate GT50 output tubes give off a slight purple glow, but nothing like my Mesa and it took 5 minutes before i couldn't touch them. .. Just curious

Comment

reverted

It now is back to the original problem. Half volume on clean Channel and no volume on lead channel.

Comment

Cracked solder on the board. Pull it out and resolder *all* the tube sockets and jacks...and anything else that looks fishy.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
          X