should I pot my Seth Lover? how might it change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waaaaaay too expensive. Here is what me and Leo use:
    PRESTO ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE FRYPAN - SKILLET - eBay (item 350332363272 end time Mar-30-10 20:36:41 PDT)

Odds are your local Goodwill store has one on their shelves for five bucks. You definitely need a thermometer though, you put a huge pile of pickups in these things too.
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

i got a mini fry-daddy deep fryer at a garage sale that was already filled with a paraffin/beeswax mix, and a couple huge sheets of beeswax, from a candle maker. works totally great on the small handful of things i've potted. has an adjustable temp, and i like the dimensions-- plugs in wherever, no stove/boiler to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        Let's see... $9.99 for the pan + $17.94 for shipping = $29.93

Wow.. you save a whole $.06!

Not waaaaaay more expensive on eBay. Locally maybe.
        Odds are your local Goodwill store has one on their shelves for five bucks. You definitely need a thermometer though, you put a huge pile of pickups in these things too.
        What's the lowest temp and does it stay there? For that extra $.06 mine stays at the right temperature.

I have to warn that my wax warmer has developed a leak, and I see others are saying the same thing on Amazon now. Too bad they didn't when I bought it!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Let's see... $9.99 for the pan + $17.94 for shipping = $29.93

Wow.. you save a whole $.06!

Not waaaaaay more expensive on eBay. Locally maybe.

What's the lowest temp and does it stay there? For that extra $.06 mine stays at the right temperature.

I have to warn that my wax warmer has developed a leak, and I see others are saying the same thing on Amazon now. Too bad they didn't when I bought it!
          Hi David

I would imagine some silicone sealer would seal your leak problem, but it will be a bugger to clean the wax of before you seal it. I use a cheapo fondue maker with water and a metal milk pot with the wax in, it´s tricky to control with the thermostat as most have a too large hystersis making it a bit of an on off affair. The fryer thing Possum recommends should age the pickups fairly quickly if the temperature knob gets knocked. I think i´ll invest in a wax warmer as they are pretty cheap and designed to do the job.
          Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
            Hi David

I would imagine some silicone sealer would seal your leak problem, but it will be a bugger to clean the wax of before you seal it. I use a cheapo fondue maker with water and a metal milk pot with the wax in, it´s tricky to control with the thermostat as most have a too large hystersis making it a bit of an on off affair. The fryer thing Possum recommends should age the pickups fairly quickly if the temperature knob gets knocked. I think i´ll invest in a wax warmer as they are pretty cheap and designed to do the job.
            Cheers

Andrew
            That's a good idea. I opened it and saw where it's leaking from where the wire for one side of the heating element goes. They had some weird white stuff that started to get crumply. I didn't have any silicone RTV, but I'll pick some up.

I might take all the parts out and build a better tank.
            Last edited by David Schwab; 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

My fryer will heat to lower than wax melts, and high enough you melt a whole pan of wax in about four minutes :-)

As far as potting a bucker with tape on and assembled you might want to keep it submerged for almost an hour. I have a PAF that is potted and I can still make it squeal. Bees wax isn't good for potting...
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Then theres those candle melters at Wal~Mart. My gal insists are safer than burning candles for the smell. I have one in the bathroom. You can have Hazelnut cream or Cherry Vanilla scented pickups. Probably costs $5 or $6 bucks less the candle.

Comment

I found an old crock pot at a garage sale for $3. That is what I use. Then I got an old meat thremometer and bent up a metal bracket so the it would sit in the wax.

The crock pot has a glass lid, so I can see the thermometer.
                  My Geeky blog:
                  MikesTechBlog.com

Building my Electric Guitar:
                  BuildMyElectricGuitar.com

Comment

The HoMedics ParaSpa Plus Paraffin Bath will take around 3 hours to melt the wax but it can be safely left on forever. They are pretty gentle and hold plenty of wax.
                    Myself and Jonson use a similar wax pot now after years of using other methods.
                    Frankly I find them excellent value for money.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                      The HoMedics ParaSpa Plus Paraffin Bath will take around 3 hours to melt the wax but it can be safely left on forever. They are pretty gentle and hold plenty of wax.
                      It actually takes about a little over an hour to melt the wax. I guess it depends on hold warm the room is.

Except for the leak it developed, I've been very happy with it.

Comment

Yeah I don't dig that part at all. With the temp controlled skillet you can heat up a whole pan of wax if you're in a hurry in about 15 minutes on high temp but you don't dare leave it if you're doing a hot start because you have to turn it down to useable temp once you've blasted it up to speed. I'm usually not in that much of a hurry, so leave it set and then it takes about an hour to melt, but its nice I can get it going fast when I need to.
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'm with Possum as far as a fast heat up.

One of these days when I have enough time, (yeah right!) and I stumble on to an old industrial temp. controller, I will use it on my crock pot potting thingy.

Usually they are proportional (actually P.I.D. but let's not go there..) which would give you the best of both worlds. A quick heatup, with accurate temp. control at the desired setpoint.
                          My Geeky blog:
                          MikesTechBlog.com

Building my Electric Guitar:
                          BuildMyElectricGuitar.com

Comment

The slow heat up is never an issue though. I just turn it on in the morning when I'm going to wind some pickups, and it's ready when I need it. If not I keep winding and set the bobbins aside until its ready. Then I leave it on all day.

Comment

Working...
                            X