No announcement yet.

Cream "Gibson" Color Survey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. If you move your color picker tool around a bit the numbers on each tile have some local variation at the pixel level. About what you quoted. That's normal for Photoshop or similar tools. I think that a colorimeter measuring a larger portion of the surface would show them identical.

Amazing to my eyes.

Comment

I think one thing that is going on in that cube photo is that the rods in your eyes are in a constant state of chemically trying o neutralize the color it is seeing. That is why when you stare at something with a strong saturated color you will see a ghost image of the complementary color when you look away. The ghost image is lag time it takes for the chemistry to dissipate that was being created to neutralize the color it was seeing. Since the adjacent colors on the face are blue your rods are boosting up the chemistry for yellow to neutralize the blue. I could be completely wrong though.
      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
      www.throbak.com
      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
        ...When I stared in commercial photography everything was still shot with color transparency film. ....

Ahh yes, I miss the 'ol trips to the store, buying KChrome out of the walk-in fridge, those were the days.

You might go check the gallery over at the LPF, they have lots of shots of bare cream's.
        (not color calibrated)

Page after page in The Beauty of The Burst show "cream" ranging all thew way from a white color tone to a bad nicotine yellow/brown/bad-teabag-stain color tones. David is right the CMYK process changes color tone but you can look at the book and make visual (mental) correction/orientation by noting the other things in the pictures (burst paint, nickel hardware etc) and knowing they were professionally shot with correct temperature lighting.
        Last edited by RedHouse; 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kazooman View Post
          Yep. If you move your color picker tool around a bit the numbers on each tile have some local variation at the pixel level. About what you quoted. That's normal for Photoshop or similar tools. I think that a colorimeter measuring a larger portion of the surface would show them identical.

Amazing to my eyes.
          In Photoshop (or some other program) make a round selection on the top square. Now slide the selection down on the screen so you are actually moving a piece of the image, and slide it down to the front square.

It's really freaky because as you move from the brightly lit top to the shadow on the front, the moved selection appears to change from brown to orange, and of course matches the front square exactly to the eye.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That's a good way to play with the picture. I hadn't ever tried that. I did as you suggested, but made the selection and then did a copy and paste giving me a piece without any border I could move around without leaving a hole behind (maybe that's what you meant). It is amazing to watch the color seem to change as you move it over either of the two squares.

Now just what color are those vintage Gibson cream pickups?

Comment

Okay here is one in the same set up. Would you consider the plastic to the right a match? Use your color picker.

www.throbak.com

Comment

The picker says it's the same color.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Dave. That is what I thought they only vary by about 2 points depending upon where you sample.

I think if you go to User CP and then to customize profile you can change the forum background colors etc..
                  www.throbak.com

Comment

they all look pink to me

Comment

Originally posted by VintageSeb View Post
                      they all look pink to me
                      Pretty much they do because they are. Even the lightest of the swatches, #7, looks pink when you equalize the densities.
                      Last edited by JGundry; 03-31-2010, 04:05 AM.
                      www.throbak.com

Comment

That photo is giving me pink eye too....
                        Something is a little skewy here, your white highlights everywhere in that image are real yellow heavy, your lighting appears to be creme
                        Another problem, here is a real '59 pickup, note that the two bobbins aren't the same color. ClownLuthier found stock color butyrate samples that hit some vintage bobbin creme colors on the nose, no color mixing required....
                        So are you trying to say there is only one correct color, or are you testing to find out who among us are color blind and obvious Klingon infiltrators
                        Attached Files
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

The pole screws on this were originally gold so they are yellow, nickel also does have a bit of a yellow tint to it also so you will not get blueish highlights from the slugs that people associate with chrome. This is a likely 59' PAF.

There is more than one vintage cream color. That is the point of this thread. But probably every photo of a cream PAF you posted has been auto white balanced so you just cannot use it for critical color.

You are not going to be sure of your color match unless you have the samples physically side by side. Post a side by side photo with a cream bobbin if you have a dead on color match. When you shoot it at the very least shoot it in raw or DNG format and white balance off a sheet of paper. That will at least approach correct color.
                          Last edited by JGundry; 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM.
                          www.throbak.com

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                            That photo is giving me pink eye too....
                            Something is a little skewy here, your white highlights everywhere in that image are real yellow heavy, your lighting appears to be creme
                            How's this?

I neutralized the color of the slugs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another issue with old pickups is what color were they when they were new?

Here's an example, what color is this '70's LP Custom?

They sure didn't make them yellow! It really looks this color in person. Too many years in smoke filled bars.

Comment

Yeah that looks better. Photoshop tends to dump alot of red in images by itself, I had to deal with that in album cover work. Say, what do prepress guys use for color matching monitors these days? I still have my Lacie press monitor, big heavy monster. These LED monitors seem totally unsuitable for that kind of work maybe. Before I bailed out of design I would do the majority of built layers on the G5 then put it on system 9 with calibrated monitor. Of course it would crash every hour or so

Jon, can't post color chips or we'd give away who makes it...there are several ready made colors that are good....
                                http://www.SDpickups.com
                                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                                X