mackie 406m powered mixer set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mackie 406m powered mixer set up

It is ok to run the mixer using the mixer line out to an active main speaker system with no load connected to the power amp output ? Do I need a dummy load ?

Mackie Mix Out

I would have to say that you will be o/k to run the mixer line out.
    Of course you will have the main out set to zero.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 03-29-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

The problem is the signal main output pot is before the mixer line out and the signal is split between the mixer line out and the power amp input after the main output. So the main output pot controls both the mixer line out and the level to the power amp. Its almost like I need a switch on the power amp input after the mixer line out to disconnect the signal to the power amp when the line out is being used. Any ideas ?

Comment

Mackie 406M

I still say it will not hurt the amp.
        Call Loud Technologies & ask.

Comment

Thanks Jazz. I think you're right. I get different opinions on this everywhere I ask. I'm Just a stupid guitar player who became a soundman by default ! Thanks again.

Comment

interpreting owners manual

Just looking at their web site, they claim any impeadance on the output. That could be 4 ohm or an open, so looking farther just to make sure, it boast 250 watt fr series amps. It looks like these use a transformer in the output. That means the amp sees a load (the transformer) even if you don't want to use it. It also indicates you are lugging around a lot more weight then you need to.

Comment

Output Z

Call Loud.
              Link:LOUD Technologies Inc. Corporate Office
              16220 Wood-Red Road NE
              Woodinville, WA 98072 USA

Tel: +1 425 892 6500
              Tel: +1 866 858 LTEC (866 858 5832)
              Fax: +1425 487 4337

Comment

Output transformer?

This is a solid state amp, and does not need a load on its power amp
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin roy View Post
                  Just looking at their web site, they claim any impeadance on the output. That could be 4 ohm or an open, so looking farther just to make sure, it boast 250 watt fr series amps. It looks like these use a transformer in the output. That means the amp sees a load (the transformer) even if you don't want to use it. It also indicates you are lugging around a lot more weight then you need to.

There is no output transformer in these. power transformer yes. possibly a line out transformer but no transformer is connected to the output of the power amp. its A-Ok to run a solid state amp without a load. I do it in my shop everyday! Tube amps are another story.

Comment

The only thing I can figure is that maybe the claim that ANY impedance will work with the amp is confusing someone. All solid state amps will run any load impedance, AS LONG AS you don;t go below the minimum impedance load. SO if the amp claims 4/8/16 ohm performance, that means you can run any impedance load down to 4 ohms. You could also connect 5 or 9.3 ohm loads, but since speakers are made in poweres of 2 impedances, they don;t mention it.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I went back to the manufacturers site and dug a little deeper. I would have to agree, this amp does not have output transformers. The short circuit protection may just be a thermal switch. The minimum load resistance looks like 2 ohms, but that is for their stand alone FR amps, you may or may not have this in you mixer.
                      As far as solid state amps not needing transformers, that may be true but any amp can have them.
                      It would be interesting to hear what you are hooking up to instead of the mixer's amps. PA and a 70 volt line?

Comment

I'd like to run a pair of JBL EON315 powered speakers for the mains via the Mackie mixer line out. Since the Mackie has two power amps (one for monitor and one for main) I would connect a passive monitor to the Mackie monitor amp (Power Amp 2) output @ 4 ohms. Power Amp 1 to the mains would have no load connected to it. The consensus seems to be it is OK to use the Mackie this way but if you have any other thoughts on this I'd like to hear.

Comment

I have the Mackie 808S, and it has no warnings in the owner's manual about a mandatory load. It should be fine. Just check it after a few minutes of operation to make sure it is cooling itself adequately. If not, it will shut itself down for protection. You could run your passives through the mains and have no load on the monitor outputs. This is what I would do since the mains are the primary and monitors are optional. Just a thought.

I run my two 4 ohm speakers through the mains (L and R) and use the power amp routing feature to increase the power. This takes the amp down to 2 ohms and disables the monitors, which it is rated as stable. Then I run from the Monitor Line Out to an additional powered mixer for the monitors. I've never had any issues, so long as there is adequate air space behind the amp. I realize you have a different model, but it should be capable of a similar setup.

Comment

Working...
                          X