Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HH split coil Strat wiring (diagram included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH split coil Strat wiring (diagram included)

Hello,
    I just got DiMarzio Super Distortion + PAF Pro pickups for my HH Strat (currently SSS). My friend will do the soldering for me, however, I have to have everything ready - wires, capacitors, switches, knobs, diagrams etc.

Because I'm a 'n00b', I don't know what I should buy. I have the tone knobs, I have the pickups, they come with 4 wires attached. I also bought a DiMarzio multipole split coil switch: Amazon.com: DiMarzio 5-Way Split Coil Pickup Selector Switch: Musical Instruments

Here's the diagram I've found for this switch:
    http://www.musicdirect.com.au/start_...h%20EP1112.pdf

Now, I have no idea, which capacitors and wires should I buy to make everything work? Is there anything else? Help greatly appreciated, will post pictures of my guitar after it's done (I need your help, though) Thanks!

The guitar isn't in front of me so we're a bit limited.

I would also say, that maybe this is a job for someone who is familiar with this stuff and doesn't need you to put it all together for him. I'm not knocking your friend, but of all the jobs in the guitar electronics world this is one of the less expensive and having a pro on it means a lot in terms of reliability and assurance it will all go good.

That said, see on the bottom of the page with the switch for sale "customer also bought" that pot 500K, Amazon.com: DiMarzio 500K Custom Taper Split Shaft Pot: Musical Instruments You want two of them. Standard Fender knobs will fit.

I don't know what value cap you want, so re-use your cap and wiring to the output jack. There will be plenty of spare wire for the rest of the hook up.

Has your friend done guitars before? Can he do stuff like build pedals, etc? This is a job that is very, very straight forward for someone who does this stuff, but for a guy that doesn't even have his own hook up wire ... I dunno.
    My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

It was actually like that: when I called him I didn't even know whether I wanted a HSS, a HSH or HH configuration. He said he would do the job for me, I just had to call him when I had everything ready.

I guess I misunderstood 'being ready' - I called him once again after reading your post and, of course, he does have all the wires and capacitors (he is a professional guitarist but he's really into guitar electronics, too)

He doesn't have the 500K pots, though, so I will buy 2 of them. And that's it, I think

Thanks for helping me out

Comment

Cool. It's good for you to get the pots, they cost actual money and it would be more than a favor for him to supply. Caps are pennies and hookup wire etc is a commodity so that'll be covered by the six of Newcastle you bring with the guitar.

It's actually reassuring that he wants you to be well decided on what you want done.

Other items for the check list:
        Pick plate that you know fits the guitar and the pickups.
        Guitar has routs for the 'buckers or a bathtub rout.
        opener for that six of Newk.

Comment

I already bought the pickguard and I had checked the routes before buying the pups (my Strat does have humbucker 'holes'). I'm not sure what you mean by "opener for that six of Newk"

Comment

Originally posted by mspunk13 View Post
            I already bought the pickguard and I had checked the routes before buying the pups (my Strat does have humbucker 'holes'). I'm not sure what you mean by "opener for that six of Newk"
            Newcastle Brown Ale does not have twist top caps.

You don't expect to get quality guitar work done for Bud Light do ya?

Comment

LMAO! That makes perfect sense now!

Comment

Working...
              X