5E3 with 18watt tremelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bevins View Post
    I don't know about any interference the first stage takes care of. As far as I know, the first stage in that tremelo and the reason they use a 12ax7 is for the gain hitting the tremelo. The tremelo sucks the gain, so thats why I thought the 5e3 first stage gain might be lacking a little for the tremelo. I don't know, but I will surely find out.

just wanted to know if anyone has done this before.
    Look at this schematic....

http://www.klone-valveamps.de/pdf/bluesbreaker_plan.pdf

My understanding (which is most definitely limited so I could be wrong) is that the way it works is through the connection between the cathodes on pins 3 and 8, where the B side triode is altering the gain of the A side by cycling the bias.

Comment

Hi all,

Has anyone built the 5E3 with the 18watt marshall tremelo built in? That is one of the best tremelo's I have heard and would like to build a 5E3 with that tremelo in it. Would like to see how it would get incorporated in the schematics.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
      Although fixed bias, why not just build the 5E3 amp into a tweed Vibrolux 5E11 or 5F11? You only need to drill one hole, a hole for either the speed or intensity.
      Use the unused volume pot hole for the tone pot and the old tone pot hole for either the speed or intensity pot... then the new hole for which ever one is left over, the speed or intensity.
      Bruce
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
        Although fixed bias, why not just build the 5E3 amp into a tweed Vibrolux 5E11 or 5F11? You only need to drill one hole, a hole for either the speed or intensity.
        Use the unused volume pot hole for the tone pot and the old tone pot hole for either the speed or intensity pot... then the new hole for which ever one is left over, the speed or intensity.
        Bruce
        Well, that would be nice but I allready have my MM iron and it doesn't have the tap for the negative voltage required for that trem.

Comment

Well, that would be nice but I allready have my MM iron and it doesn't have the tap for the negative voltage required for that trem.
          You could get that from the B+ with a large value dropping resistor.
          See here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende..._6g3_schem.pdf

Comment

... the negative voltage required for that trem.
            The -ve voltage is actually for the output tube grid bias voltage. The trem just happens to be connected at that point too.

What txstrat said about the way to tap it off the HT winding. Fender did that with a number of amps including the brown and BF Princetons (speaking of which, if you are branching out with considering simple 2 x 6V6 amp designs that incorporate trem, the 6G2 has the same tube compliment, and the same number of knobs as a tweed vibrolux, but uses a different envelope for the LFO, and the AA964 also has 2 pre-amp tubes, but has a stiffer rectifier and a TB tonestack. So there's more some choices - just to add to the confusion )
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

You don't need the negative voltage. Just make the amp cathode biased, and connect the Intensity pot to ground instead of the bias voltage. Like on the Matchless Hurricane:
              http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam..._hurricane.pdf

Then you essentially get a single channel 5e3 with tremolo.

Comment

THe marshall tremelo is great. Go to teh 18watt.com site and lots of guys there have built there marshalls with 6v6's so that would bev similar, but if you have a bigger chassis, the magnatone vibrato circuit is really cool. I'm getting set to build a marshall 18watt with a magnatone vibrato instead of the marshall. I haven't tried changing it to be similar, but the marshall tremolo doesnt sound like a deluxe as it is, BUT with tele and the vibrato turned off volume and tone about 5 sounds great. Then you can turn on the tremolo and your playing style and that sounds great too. ;-) As they said you could probably change it around, but just build it as is first. Now that other thing is, if you did it right, you could remove the gainstage right before the phase inverter (the first half of that tube in fact) and you could rearrange stuff a little bit, and get a "normal" channel, and a trem channel, NOW you would really want to build your tubes to put out as much gain as possible to try to make up for what is lost in that stage, but it could work, OOORRRRRR I just thought of this, the easiest way to do that, might just be to put a input jack right into that gainstage before the PI, So you are inputing the amp AFTER te tremolo circuit to bypass it. That would be a low gain input too, so you'd have to talk with some other guys around here to figure that out right. Otherwise though, the project sounds like fun, but you also might just be better to build a standard 18watt marshall in something else. because they are so different and then you can still have the two sounds and you don't have to change your 5e3. BTW, if you do get around to do this, and you like it, try using the fender deluxe volume and tone controls. I really like the way they work. Most people don't but my dad's real 55 5d3 sounds really good, even with the what many people call horrible designed and interactive, controls. I like em. That's just my $.2

Comment

I know this is somewhat old, but I'd like to hear the result of this amp, if it was ever completed, and if you look at it, the 18W marshall tremolo has the same volume and tone control design as a 5e3, standard volume control, with a variable bright cap/or highs to ground tone control, although the rest of the circuit is obviously quite different from a 5e3, I really like the trem channel on an 18W without out the trem on, it actually does sound a teensy bit like a tweed-ish amp, kinda dark yet powerful and vintage sounding. ;-) I would love to hear it with the PI and 6v6's from a tweed deluxe, bet that would be awesome! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X