Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Callahan Trem Blocks...Hyperbole or Effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callahan Trem Blocks...Hyperbole or Effective?

I have heard it both ways about these devices...some claim these aftermarket offerings are far superior to the stock Fender version in terms of overall tone, sustain, & vintage-specific metal content while others say it's utter BS. Probably best to begin here by differentiating the term 'stock'.

The Callahan seems to get rave reviews when used as a replacement in the MIM Stratocasters. Apparently the MIM version is shaped differently, contains less steel, is lighter & doesn't sound as good as those in an original 1957 Stratocaster. *well gee whiz*

On the other hand, others have mentioned that a Callahan offers no significant tonal/sustainal improvement in a contemporary American-made Stratocaster as the steel content & design are pretty much the same in both...thus the alleged hype factor.

So the question is...while they might be considered a viable replacement in a MIM Stratocaster, are they little more than a hood-ornament for the MIA Stratocasters?

As far as I know, a Strat sounds better if the trem block is a bigass heavy lump of steel.

If you have a Strat with an aluminium or diecast zinc trem block, then it might be worth upgrading to a steel one, because these metals are much lighter than steel.

I think the American series Strats have a steel block already, though. Mine seems to, but of course Callahan claim that it's made of poor quality cast steel and their cold rolled one is superior. I'd guess hood ornament, and an invisible hood ornament at that, unless their block is actually bigger and heavier.

But then, I guess with their Delrin bushing system you don't need to worry about losing the little spring.

And their steel Tune-o-matic bridge is very sexy. I was always suspicious of the zinc ones.
    Last edited by Steve Conner; 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Here's some steel trem blocks, including genuine Fender parts, for a lot less than the Callahan.

Guitar Parts Resource:: Tremolo Blocks

They have a Titanium block too, for stupid money.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

On the other hand, others have mentioned that a Callahan offers no significant tonal/sustainal improvement in a contemporary American-made Stratocaster as the steel content & design are pretty much the same in both...thus the alleged hype factor.
        Fender uses zinc blocks in H1 Strats, cast powdered steel in STD and DLX versions, hot rolled leaded steel in V, CS as well as most artist models. Callaham uses cold rolled steel for all models.

Build quality is OK for Fender parts, outstanding for their Callaham counterparts - vide for instance the mirror finish on the top plate or the very clever Delrin-sleeved bushing.

Now what about tone? Well, that's another story.

Comment

How can you tell what the block is made of? I have 2 early 90s Strats (basically 2 Strat pluses).
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have found that simply removing the grey paint off (Where it contacts the plate only) of the reissue Fender tremolos makes a significant difference. Also while I'm at it, I sand the block smooth where it contacts the plate with 220 grit so it makes full contact. No need to buy fancy after market with those particular ones.

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
              Fender uses zinc blocks in H1 Strats, cast powdered steel in STD and DLX versions, hot rolled leaded steel in V, CS as well as most artist models. Callaham uses cold rolled steel for all models.
              And why would that make a difference? It's an inertia block.

In this particular application, steel is steel.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

How can you tell what the block is made of? I have 2 early 90s Strats (basically 2 Strat pluses).
                Just look at it... Zinc is greyish with an irregular surface, cast powdered steel is usually painted grey, rolled steel is au naturel.

Strat Plus => cast powdered steel.

Comment

And why would that make a difference? It's an inertia block.
                  Not only, it's also a coupler between the strings and the body.

In this particular application, steel is steel.
                  Alnico is Alnico, huh?

Comment

I replaced the block on my Road Worn '60's with a Callaham block and it made a noticable difference. The guitar sounds more articulate with better note definition on chords (this is a particular benefit when playing extended chords). The bottom end is warm but tight.

On my main Strat, '57 RI, I have a Wilkinson VSVG and the block didn't make very much difference. That's no suprise since the Wilkinson already has a steel block.

With both the Callaham and the Wilkinson, the improvements in design are worth it even without the tonal benefits.
                    Last edited by Jag; 04-09-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I have a partscaster that I got in a trade. Basically, a MIM body with a Warmoth neck and Texas Special and Pearly Gates pickups. I would not have spent the money on the Calaham parts, but they were on the guitar when I got it. As much as it pains me, this guitar actually sounds better than my 1976 Strat, but I don't know how much I can attribute to the Calaham tremelo block.

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
                        Not only, it's also a coupler between the strings and the body.
                        No, it's an inertia block. It makes up for the body having a big honking hole cut in it, and the fact that the bridge is resting on some screws and springs. When you pluck a string the bridge moves. That removes some energy from the strings, and the block helps prevent that. The bridge plate is coupling with the body, and so are the springs. Do you use a cold rolled steel spring claw? That's the other end of the fulcrum.

Plus there's no real reason to want your bridge coupled to the body. It wont do anything that the body/neck hasn't done already when the note was struck. This isn't an acoustic guitar.

Alnico is Alnico, huh?
                        Poor analogy. The trem block is not a magnet. It's a passive component. We know the differences in alnico mixes and what they do.

But if you think it matters, please explain how hot rolled, vs. cold rolled, vs, sintered makes a difference in a block of steel that has no other properties to the guitar than mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonman63 View Post
                          I have a partscaster that I got in a trade. Basically, a MIM body with a Warmoth neck and Texas Special and Pearly Gates pickups. I would not have spent the money on the Calaham parts, but they were on the guitar when I got it. As much as it pains me, this guitar actually sounds better than my 1976 Strat, but I don't know how much I can attribute to the Calaham tremelo block.
                          Just switch the block and the guitar and see if it sounds different.

Comment

I've worked on and built LOTS of Strats, and I can tell you that the quality, material and engineering of the tailblock makes a BIG difference.

First of all, GOOD blocks anchor the string ball-ends at the BOTTOM of the block, not up near the plate. If they are anchored up near the plate, it takes the tonal qualities of the block out of the equation.

Next, the material: die-cast zinc flat-out sucks, period. Worse still are all of the otherwise good-to-excellent budget Strats and knockoffs that employ a trem with a thin, wedge-shaped, lightweight block. Most of these guitars can be brought to life by installing a decent trem with a good block, and a good block is made either from steel or brass.

BTW- the right saddles help too. The only thing worse than a die-cast block is die-cast saddles. They are just junk, period. For a Strat, bent steel achieves the right "zing".

Now, to me, Callaham makes the best trems. So does Glendale. However, these ARE pricey. The GOOD news is that Guitar Fetish has VERY nice trems with good blocks, plates and saddles as upgrade replacements for under $50, and I can tell you firsthand that they work WELL and are worth every penny.

Incidentally, if anyone is familiar with the early-80's Fender FreeFlyte trem system, it is a PERFECT example of how NOT to build a trem, and how BAD a poor design can make a guitar sound. It's truly pathetic.
                            John R. Frondelli
                            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              But if you think it matters, please explain how hot rolled, vs. cold rolled, vs, sintered makes a difference in a block of steel that has no other properties to the guitar than mass.
                              Even at that, each of them has a different mass. Beyond that it is part of the resonant structure of spring and bridge. Different materials have different resonant characteristics. If you hit each bridge with a hammer it would make a different sound. The string doesn't hit them that hard but it does excite them and the block affects the string. If this thing were wood, you'd agree that material makes a difference, no.

Your statement that the block has no other properties than mass is a mechanical version of saying that a capacitor has no inductance.
                              My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X