Fender Twin Reverb Sliverface - Speaker Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb Sliverface - Speaker Noise

I have a 1972 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface with Master Volume.

The unit it has recently been re-tubed with 4 matching 6L6's and all the standard tubes via the tube chart...

The problem is that every time I turn the master volume, above 4, with either channel volume say at 6, the speakers start to rattle and shake.

The rattle is very annoying and is distracting from the tone. It really seems to be a problem with the lower frequencies, and anytime I hit a big chord, especially with the neck pickup, the speakers seem to shake with the physical back and forth movement and is very irritating. The unit cleans up alright, and the natural tube distortion sounds good, but at higher volume the signal seems to be too overloaded which cause the speakers to rattle.

The speakers are the original, stock speakers that say, "Fender, musical instruments, special design speaker." Perhaps they need to be reconed? Is there anyway to not have the speakers physical movements not be so loud?

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Dover; 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM.

I'd pull the speakers and check the glue that attaches the spider part of the speaker to the frame also check the glue on the surround, I'll bet it's dried out a bit. Just add a little speaker glue.

Comment

I would unplug the speakers from the amp, and connect the amp to some other speaker cab. Does the amp sound OK through other speakers?

Once you have verified the rpoblem is in the speakers and not the amp, then narrow it down to which one.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ah ha! Thank you!

Great suggestions.

But to "unplug the speakers" and "connect to a different cab" I would have to:

1. Unplug the black and white speaker cable, which is normally connected to "Speaker"
        2. Then run a cable from the "Ext. Speaker" into the input of another amp/cab? I would be trying this into a Fender 212 Deville, so into the regular channel input?

Correct? Or is there another way, better way?

---OR----

Then to "pull the speakers" (out?) to check the glue that attaches the spider to the frame/check the glue on the "surround"... I would have to...

- Take it to my regular amp tech?! That sounds like what I would imagine the problem is, but I don't want to screw anything up!
        But if its not too hard I imagine I could just do it myself, and without spending $50+, for something I could do in 20 mins.

Thank you!

Comment

Enzo is right by telling you to verify that the problem is indeed the speakers. Unplug the black and white speaker cable from the back of the silverface and plug it into the speaker output of the Deville. You will be using the Deville amp with the Sliverface speakers, it will probably work easier if both amps are back to back. If the Deville makes the Silverface speakers rattle as well, then it's a speaker issue, if not, then it's an amp issue.

Comment

Working...
          X