My new builds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new builds!

These are the builds I've been working on: A 5E1 (The Tramp), and a 5E3 (Mr. Soul). Cabs and everything are homemade. 5E1 is solid oak that's been ammonia fumed, and has a hot rolled steel chassis (my favorite part). 5E3 is poplar with finger joints. I'm proud of them since they're my first two.

Nice joints on the poplar! I admire good woodworking because I suck at it so.

What do the ammonia fumes do for you? Is that part of the finish?

Comment

Thanks! Well, first the fumes knock me on my butt, and then... Well it's actually something I discovered sort of by accident while looking for alternative finishes. It was originally done during the Mission furniture era. For a piece that size you can just put it in a closed container with a couple dishes of ammonia for 24 hours. It took the wood from about the brightness of the poplar to the darkness you see. And since it chemically alters the wood it will never fade. Pretty cool. I think it works best with oak because of the high tannin level, but I suppose you could use it on different woods to some effect. That champ weighs about 35 pounds, so I can't recommend oak for anything larger....but, it's a total tank.

Comment

Originally posted by wcrankshaw View Post
        Thanks! Well, first the fumes knock me on my butt, and then... Well it's actually something I discovered sort of by accident while looking for alternative finishes. It was originally done during the Mission furniture era. For a piece that size you can just put it in a closed container with a couple dishes of ammonia for 24 hours. It took the wood from about the brightness of the poplar to the darkness you see. And since it chemically alters the wood it will never fade. Pretty cool. I think it works best with oak because of the high tannin level, but I suppose you could use it on different woods to some effect. That champ weighs about 35 pounds, so I can't recommend oak for anything larger....but, it's a total tank.
        Ah pretty cool. Kinda like the old rusty nails trick to darken oak.

Comment

Working...
        X