Stratocaster Tremelo Spring Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratocaster Tremelo Spring Patterns

Appreciate some clarification here...when looking at the rear trem cavity of a Stratocaster, we have all seen a variety of spring patterns...usually 5 in a line, 3 in a line, the 'V' (3 spring) pattern on the newer 2 point bridges, & occasionally a single spring serving as a ground conductor if the trem is blocked.

My question(s)...is the number of springs & choice of spring pattern primarily based on individual trem arm tension preferences and/or does it also have something to do with maintaining accurate pitch?

Lastly, I have heard that the black Fender trem springs have less inherent tension than the silver ones...is this correct?

Originally posted by overdrive View Post
    Appreciate some clarification here...when looking at the rear trem cavity of a Stratocaster, we have all seen a variety of spring patterns...usually 5 in a line, 3 in a line, the 'V' (3 spring) pattern on the newer 2 point bridges, & occasionally a single spring serving as a ground conductor if the trem is blocked.

My question(s)...is the number of springs & choice of spring pattern primarily based on individual trem arm tension preferences and/or does it also have something to do with maintaining accurate pitch?

Lastly, I have heard that the black Fender trem springs have less inherent tension than the silver ones...is this correct?
    I personally change spring patterns, quantities, types, etc soley based on feel or tension. I do not believe any of this has an affect on accurate pitch just feel.

Comment

That's what I suspected in terms of how many springs to use...so basically, that 3 spring V shape pattern used on the newer Stratocasters has nothing to do with maintaining accurate pitch, just the manufacturer being 'cost-effective'. Like why use 5 springs when you can easily get by with two less & nobody (other than myself) will question it anyway. Gotta love those MBA bean-counters & their penny-pinching impact(s) on the production process.

Comment

I forgot to mention old springs and even cheap springs can affect accurate pitch but other than that no.

Comment

i think the amount of springs do affect the tension, when a customer wants a tight bridge almost fixed, ill put as many srings as i can get in there, and if they want a nice loose trem, where they can divebomb freely, ill put 2 to 3 springs usually straight.
          I think pitch and accuracy comes down to the adjustment of the claw that the springs are attached to

Comment

Originally posted by overdrive View Post
            Like why use 5 springs when you can easily get by with two less & nobody (other than myself) will question it anyway. Gotta love those MBA bean-counters & their penny-pinching impact(s) on the production process.
            Because 50 years ago people used heavy gauge flatwound strings on their guitars, so you needed the 5 springs to counter the string tension.

But 5 springs is too stiff for today's light gauge strings, and people use their vibratos differently now.

This is the same reason why Strat pickups have staggered magnets with the G higher and the B lower. That worked for the strings use back then, but not with modern strings.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The only times I use 5 springs are for those who want to be like SRV with 12's or if someone needs the tremolo locked down. Other than that I usually set up the tremolo with 3. Backplates can be problematic with accurate pitch. They contact the springs on many strats which causes tuning problems.

Comment

Working...
              X