mix & match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mix & match?

Hi, I have two speakers I want to put in a 2x12 cab. They are the same ohms but different wattage. Will wire in parallel. What will happen?

they will work. i would not exceed double the lower powered speakers power rating as the power will be split evenly between the 2 speakers.

Comment

Thanks Mate !

Comment

They will share power equally. If you increase power to them enough, eventually, you will reach the limit of the lower power one and it will fail.

In other words, if you have a 20w and a 100w speaker in parallel, you can apply up to 40 watts to the pair - 20 watts per speaker. If you apply 100 watts to the pair, each will see 50 watts. The 20w one will burn up, but the 100w one will be happy.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So let me get this straight.... I have a 40w amp. I have a 50w & a 65w speaker. They can share a 2x12 sealed cab and all are happy?

Comment

They will be cruisin' easy-breezy.

Comment

Sure, the 40w amp won;'t stress either one of the speakers on its own, let alone when the powr is divided between them.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If one has a higher sensitivity it will seem louder than the other, but that wouldn't be an indication of a problem.

Comment

mix & match

Evidently both speakers are in the 95-98 sensitivity range and are from the same manufacturer, so I guess there would be little difference in volume .
                  Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X