Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divided by 13 head with issues

Hey guys.

I have a divided by 13 head and its having some issues. Its the usual intermittent crackling of volume. it comes and goes.

I thought I had it fixed when I saw a crack in the solder joint of the 1/4 input. It went away for a while and came back right after I put it back together. go fiqure.

One of the preamp tubes makes a wierd crackling noise when touched and shaken around. Could this be a problem and if so how can I tell if its THE problem?

Every solder joint is good. All caps are good. amp is like new condition.

any ideas where to start on this?

Well this would be a good place to start

"One of the preamp tubes makes a weird crackling noise when touched and shaken around. Could this be a problem and if so how can I tell if its THE problem?"

Replace it with a new one and see if the problem goes away.

It could be the tube or some muck on the pins or in the socket.

Is the sound it makes when aggravated the same as the sound the amp makes when its having issues ?

Also carefully check around the socket for cracked solder joins.
    Better still go round the socket and resolder the solder connections.

Comment

Every solder joint is good because you resoldered them? Or do they just LOOK good to the eye?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks for the help

i have resoldered all of the tips, and I have replaced the tube.

it still makes a crackling noise when I move it around or touch it. None of the other preamp tubes do this, I am also not sure if this is the source of my problem or not.

Comment

On the preamp tube in question I resoldered them.

The rest of the amp looks to be in great condition but i know that doesnt mean there is not a small crack somehwere etc.

The preamp tube that is making noise when touched or moved is tricking me. I do not know if this is the source of my probelm but its not normal.

any ideas aside from the obvious, (switch the tube, resolder the leads) that I could try and do you think this could be the source of the issue?

thanks enzo

Comment

AnnMar you and I should start our own crackle club! You fixed that Vox yet? Mines still behaving itself, I'm getting tempted to just sell it and hope!

Comment

I know it. trust me. I hate these issues cause there are so many elements that can go into causing this problem. They are hard to fix for sure.

I am pretty sure I have fixed the Vox , but like you I dont want to jinx it. I had it working for a full week, then called the guy over to pick it up, and boom it started right then. totally embarassing. i couldnt believe it. I am sure the same thing will happen to you once you sell it!!

Well, all we can do is keep at it!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnMar Studios View Post
                thanks for the help

i have resoldered all of the tips, and I have replaced the tube.

it still makes a crackling noise when I move it around or touch it. None of the other preamp tubes do this, I am also not sure if this is the source of my problem or not.

i would try yet another tube to rule out a 2nd bad tube....if the noise persists with the third tube, shut the amp down, drain voltages, take the tube out of the socket and tighten each metal member of the socket....make sure there's a good grab from each socket member to each tube pin. try your first tube back in the socket and cross your fingers.

Comment

that makes sense, loose connections on the pins....i will try that...

thanks.

Comment

Retensioning the sockets might be worth a try as russian tubes do sometimes have a thicker wire for the pins then chinese one's which can cause intermittent contact issues if replacing russian with chinese preamp tubes...
                    I can fix everything, where is the duct tape?

Comment

Working...
                    X