Roland JC-77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland JC-77

I'm looking for help with dating a Roland Jazz Chorus 77 (JC-77) combo amp that I bought recently. The serial number is 532144, the back panel says “made in U.S.A.,” and the speakers are labeled “made in Japan.” From what I’ve learned, Roland changed their numbering system sometime around 1989, from six digits (123456) to two letters followed by four digits (AB1234).

A recent enquiry to Roland customer suppport got the following response: “Unfortunately, this serial number dates back further than what we have accurate record of. All we do know, is that it was made sometime before 1988.”

This is an amazing amp, and the true stereo chorus is awesome. From its overall condition, I find it hard to believe that it’s over 20 years old, and possibly closer to 30. Any help dating it would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

I never think about when something was made, but to get an idea, look at the date codes on the parts. COntrols usually have them, and larger parts like transformers usually do. Speakers probably do. On the boards, larger filter caps and power resistors often have them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Roland is steering you in the right direction on this. If it predates the alphanumeric serial number system, it is mid-to-late 80's.

I have a JC-77 from around the same era. The whole Roland JC-series of amps was quite amazing, and the JC-120 is still being manufactured and sold. One of the best clean-sounding chorus amps ever. Not really a blues or rock-type amp per se, because the onboard distortion flat-out sucks, but with outboard pedals, it can rock the house too. For blues/eock amps, the vintage Roland Cubes are sought-after amps.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

jazz chorus 77 just the coolest

i went to private classes back in 1994-96 and built myself a semi accoustic guitar based loosely on a gibson birdland ... i then invested a jc 77 from a second hand dealer in brighton , UK who told me that the amp was maybe 8 or 10 years old..( No 633334 ) it was certainly in excellent condition and perfectly complimented the guitar ( rich warm sound etc ) anyway.. cut a long story short i started my first band with it and used it for about 10 years - without a hitch . As the gigs were becoming bigger i finally had to invest in something a little more robust and opted for a brand new Fender twin reverb.. incidentally i kept the jc 77 as a backup amp and have recently formed another band with the lead guitarist insisting that he uses it .. still going strong and sounding good after 25 years !!!

Comment

old Roland amps

I have a Roland Cube 30 keyboard amp that has been in service constantly since the early 80s and it's never once failed. Lately it serves as the harmonica amp at a blues jam, and works great. I agree that Roland amps are amazingly resilient.

Comment

Working...
          X