'Tubelike' MOSFET output stage design idea - autotransformer output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tubelike' MOSFET output stage design idea - autotransformer output

Hi everyone. This is my first post here on Ampage I think. I hope that this is an appropriate place to discuss my various ideas and projects - I think it probably is, I've been reading the old posts. I'm somewhat of a hobbyist - I've designed and built quite a few guitar amps in my life, some transistor, some tube, some of them even work and see regular gigging and practice. I've also done a few effect projects and I do the occasional repair for people. So that's why I'm here, in the hope of meeting like-minded correspondents.

Anyway, I've had this idea for building a 'tubelike' MOSFET output stage using an autotransformer type of output topology, to obtain similar electrical characteristics to the classic push-pull transformer output stage with conveniently available components in a solid-state design.

Suppose I just tried to put FETs instead of tubes, I could probably do that:

Now I'd have to find an appropriate audio-band transformer to appropriately match the voltage and current swings. Hard enough to find tube transformers, really. Probably a 25V or 70V line transformer could be made to do the job. But as we're talking low-impedance devices (FETs) and low-impedance load (loudspeaker), a transformer here seems somewhat gratuitous. Could I get by with just a choke? Chokes for parafeed triode amplifiers and the like have to be rated in the Henries, because they work in high-impedance tube circuits. In a low-impedance solid state circuit, I could get by with millihenries, much easier to find or make. So here's what I'd do with a center-tapped choke load replacing the transformer:

Sort of looks like 2 choke-loaded single-ended stages in a bridge conformation - the only difference is that the 2 chokes are coupled into one. This allows the stage to be driven into class AB as a classical transformer-output stage could be.

What's interesting is that, when I SPICE it, this circuit can actually approach putting 4 x B+ peak-to-peak into the load! Could think of it as the same phenomenon wherein a single-ended choke-loaded stage can swing nearly 2 x B+ peak-to-peak, but it's really an autotransformer stepping up the voltage and stepping down the current. The transistors actually pull twice the current as the load gets, but at a lower voltage. This is kind of cool, really, because the less current the choke has to carry, the cheaper it can be. Very much like how 120:240 line 'transformers' sold for travelers are all really autotransformers. It's not a conspiracy to deny us cheap B+ transformers although I used to think so, it's that the autotransformer is cheaper because it carries less current. The 'primary' and 'secondary' currents circulate in different directions and partially cancel as shown here:

If I were to really build this, I'd definitely have to make it a bit more complicated. MOSFETs are different from tubes in that they do not have an analog of the zero-bias line where the grid starts to draw current, providing a sort of maximum current limit for the tube when driven by a high-impedance driver circuit. Adding a small source resistor to 'sense' the current flowing and a small signal NPN transistor lets a current limit be set for the MOSFETs and even causes 'grid current' to be drawn from the phase inverter when driven to this point of clipping, just as a power tube would:

It might also be a decent idea to put a couple fast diodes in reverse between the FET drains and ground, to catch any flyback from running this thing loud with no load or such situations.

I guess I wonder - would this work? And would parts be easily available? I don't think the choke would be a huge problem - a centertapped 40 millihenry choke would have an impedance of 20 ohms at 80 Hz (guitar low E) and while I haven't seen such a choke for sale I imagine it'd be pretty much equivalent to a common mode dual 10 mH choke, which I have seen for sale. I do wonder where to get FETs - they'd have to be somewhat matched for this to work well and it seems that the common switching FETs don't do (although some people seem to use them anyway) - I'm a bit confused as to what's really out there for audio MOSFETs in terms of price and availability. But I think this might work. SPICE simulations show a somewhat tube-like power transfer, with ideal power transfer at some load impedance rather than the perfectly damped output of the traditional transistor amp. Magnetic saturation might well show up, with a somewhat undersized choke. And the current limiting transistors would allow some simulation of grid current, with corresponding bias shifts being possible from charging of coupling caps from the PI. The step-up of the B+ voltage is pretty nice, allows consideration of a fairly low rail voltage and readily available power supplies.

Has this topology seen any use in the past? It seems pretty simple. I'm interested in hearing what people here might think of it.

Gallien-Krueger did it with BJTs in the 1970s, and yeah it worked.

It's topologically similar to the transformer-driven totem-pole output used by Thomas Vox, which also had a reasonable reputation for tone. Both topologies have transformer distortion, and a high pentode-like output impedance that can be modified by global NFB, as is done in classic tube amps.

The Thomas Vox style output is my own personal hybrid favourite. I have a bunch of secret mods to it for thermal stability and protection.

A forum member here tried to market an amp that used the output transformer with MOSFETs, but he had trouble with crossover distortion.

There's a crazy MOSFET hi-fi amp with input and output transformers:
    http://www.audiophonics.com/audiopho...eus-about.html

but it uses the MOSFETs as source followers, giving a very low output impedance, and that's not what you want for guitar.

The best audio MOSFETs are the lateral kind available from Exicon and Magnatec. BUZ901, ECF10N16 and so on. They're descendants of the 2SJ50/2SK135 used in the Marshall Mosfet Lead.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Here's an example with MOSFETs.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Teemu.
        That's exactly what I did, but with switching type MosFets.
        I started by using MTP3055 (it's a 50W 12V battery powered amp).
        Had terrible crossover-type problems because of stinking linearity (yea, I know, I know, they are switching Mosfets, what was I thinking?)
        And very little NFB possible because of the output transformer.
        Solution? I had to pre-distort the signal the opposite way.
        Sort of worked.
        Now TDA1562 saves my bacon.
        Thanks for posting this one.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Transformer-coupled SS power amps aren't new, and it can definitely be done with MOSFET's. Even HV MOSFET's, but then you are kinda back in the tube arena with a HV power supply.

I experimented with this on a smaller level to drive a tiny transformer and speaker sim as the back end of a SS preamp project. In the end, I was able to achieve the same thing with CMOS buffers biased in a linear fashion, similar to what Sunn did with the Beta series.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by teemuk View Post
            Here's an example with MOSFETs.
            Nice example, thank you!

Their gate protection scheme is a bit different than mine - it has a gate clamp where I have put a current limiter. Same idea, a transistor conducting versus a zener, I think my idea would be better in a case where the amp was abused by improper load. Admittedly my source resistors would waste some power. But they might slightly improve performance with almost-matched FETs. A choice I guess.

I'd thought that an autotransformer would definitely be a size and cost improvement over a full transformer and could be made out of a cheap common mode choke - I guess this is just something that has to be tried.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Morris
              I'd thought that an autotransformer would definitely be a size and cost improvement over a full transformer and could be made out of a cheap common mode choke - I guess this is just something that has to be tried.
              You are right. That was exactly what I did. I used a push-pull output transformer, no secondary, and the 4 ohm speaker was hooked source to source. For 8 ohm speakers I wound the necessary extra turns .
              The amp schematic looked unsymmetrical on paper, but worked perfectly.
              I could pull huge power from a humble 12V7A gel battery, but the amp had a sort of built-in noise gate.
              Increasing bias to avoid this killed the battery quickly.
              I'm sure lateral MosFets would have been the solution, but they were unavailable in Argentina 10/15years ago.
              The not-so-elegant solution was to replace them with TIP140 Darlingtons. Oh well, you can't always win.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Hi Morris

You are right. That was exactly what I did. I used a push-pull output transformer, no secondary, and the 4 ohm speaker was hooked source to source. For 8 ohm speakers I wound the necessary extra turns .
                The amp schematic looked unsymmetrical on paper, but worked perfectly.
                I could pull huge power from a humble 12V7A gel battery, but the amp had a sort of built-in noise gate.
                Increasing bias to avoid this killed the battery quickly.
                I'm sure lateral MosFets would have been the solution, but they were unavailable in Argentina 10/15years ago.
                The not-so-elegant solution was to replace them with TIP140 Darlingtons. Oh well, you can't always win.
                Glad to hear that somebody has done this!

I can see how a heavy 1-2A bias would eat batteries hardcore. I did SPICE this circuit out with Darlingtons, I do think it would work, the thing I didn't like about it was that the linearity was quite poor. The problem was beta-droop and all that, as current increased gain dropped right down, it was soft-clipping basically but almost a parody of soft-clipping in that the gain dropped the whole way down. MOSFETs managed to keep a steady gain for a bit longer, if properly biased up. I didn't specifically have a model for TIP140 transistors, though, if they worked well for you that's good to know

One other thing which concerns me about this circuit, if I build it, is how I can manage to incorporate feedback. The autotransformer is riding right on the B+ rail and will show the full B+ ripple at both ends. Probably need a diff-amp just to get a feedback signal out of there. Probably this wasn't much of an issue with a battery supply, but I am curious about your feedback arrangement if any.

Comment

It was real simple.
                  I will post the schematic and PCB here but as an advance the topology was as follows ( keep in mind I am a hardcore minimalist)
                  1 regular non inverting op amp, gain 10x to 20x, which drives one Mos gate, through a capacitor.
                  1 unity gain inverting op amp, which takes nš 1's output and inverts it, to drive the 2nd Mos gate, also capacitively.
                  Both op amps have 220K bias resistors to a preset which applies between 3.4 and 3.8 V as needed to turn them on, because they are enhancement types.
                  Drains go to opposite ends of a center tapped transformer, said tap goes to +12.6V through a 10 A fuse.
                  Speaker floats at +12V because it goes from drain to drain.
                  The 6 to 10 dB feedback possible, go from the appropriate drain to the first op amp negative (feedback) input, with a large (10uF) series capacitor to block DC.
                  The thing works, is VERY loud and aggressive, driving the guitar type speakers like pentodes, but has an unnatural "noise gate" or squelch effect and low level audio sounds "choppy".
                  Excellent to sell fresh laid eggs at a street market, from a horse drawn cart, but not much else.
                  Now TDA1562 has rendered it obsolete.
                  Another solution: I have ordered today 200 E42-21-15 ferrite cores and the corresponding winding forms, I will embrace in full the SMPS religion, both for battery powered equipment and line powered too.
                  Wish me good luck.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    I will embrace in full the SMPS religion, both for battery powered equipment and line powered too.
                    Wish me good luck.
                    Good luck! You're gonna need it
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                    X