Junked Arkay hifi amp OT for a 5F2A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junked Arkay hifi amp OT for a 5F2A?

I have the power and output transformers from a junked Arkay FL-10 hi fi amp. I thought, that because it had a 5y3 and 2 6v6’s a 12ax7 and some other preamp tubes, it might work nicely with a 5E3. But I built a 5f2a instead. A knucklehead move to be sure, but I really want a 5f2a. I haven’t yet fired it up. Assembling was easy, but understanding how it all works...

So my question is this: Do I rule, in or out, the output transformer for a 5f2a? There’s no info on the transformers or construction manual, but I have the schematics. The schematic voltages are the same on both 6V6’s: 335 volts to the plate (pin 3) in each and 330 volts to each grid #2. I’m assuming the 5th lead is a center tap and the schematic has the voltage at 338 volts. Can I use just two of these primaries? Or is the likelihood of ‘Kaboom’ very high?

In the words of the immortal Professor Backwards: !Pleh

The 5F2A is a single ended amp. The OT you have is intended for a push-pull amp with two power tubes. It'll kind of work, it'll just sound crappy.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'm curious, so I'll try it and see what happens, then get a new OT

Comment

Working...
      X