65 Fender Super Reverb reissue presence control mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Fender Super Reverb reissue presence control mod

I like to add apresence control to a 65 Fender Super Reverb reissue. Any idea?

Not bright enough?? Someone asked about adding presence to a Princeton, different circuit, but I've never had trouble having plenty of highs on a BF type amp.
    Last edited by JoeM; 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

its bright enough. Just the opposite for a smoother sound.

Comment

Originally posted by dodona View Post
        its bright enough. Just the opposite for a smoother sound.
        Couple of simple things you might try first. I'd change C25 (.001), the input to the PI to .01. (You can try other values here too, but it's not so easy with a PCB amp) Maybe increase the bias current through the 6L6s.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

'its bright enough. Just the opposite for a smoother sound.'
          A presence control can only make it brighter - it's a variable treble boost control.
          If you explain in more detail what you are hoping to achieve, folks would be able to suggest how you might go about it.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

How about adding a "Cut" control?

Comment

Originally posted by ThermionicScott View Post
              How about adding a "Cut" control?
              yes something like that. Any idea?

Comment

Vox has a nice "cut control" right after the PI. You might tinker a little with the caps value to match your taste.
                Look here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/voxamps/ac30ltd.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
                  Vox has a nice "cut control" right after the PI. You might tinker a little with the caps value to match your taste.
                  Look here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/voxamps/ac30ltd.pdf
                  Thanks!

Don't think it will work on a Fender.

Any other idea to get an Fender sound smoother and more compatible for distortion pedals?

Comment

Let the Super be what it wants to be

Different amps like different distortion pedals, it's not a one size fits all. For Fenders, I generally prefer more drive. The Boss DS-1 works well for me, just roll the tone back to about 9 o-clock. You can find them for $29 new and cheaper used. If you don't need as much punch, try the yellow Boss overdrive pedal. A TS-9 type pedal can work if you just want to leave it on all the time with a lower drive setting and dial a little brightness out of your tone. When I was gigging with Fenders, I always had a couple of distortion pedals on my pedal board. I used to use the TS-9 for some chunk on the rhythm and then a Rat pedal in series to boost the solos, but the Rat can be a little extreme to my now matured ears.

Once you find the one you like, there are plenty of kits to tweak the pedals or even build your own with tweakable features.

Pick up a used one cheap and experiment.

Comment

What makes you think that the vox type cut control wont work - the global negative feedback on a BF Fender? That would counteract the cut control to some extent, but it the cut will still have a significant affect.
                      Which channel are you using (you may find that the normal channel is less fizzy)?
                      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                      X