Update: speaker driven reverb amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: speaker driven reverb amp

For anyone who's been following this project...

I just tried the dedicated reverb amp through a higher fidelity speaker and my hunch was correct. It sounds VASTLY superior through a higher fidelity speaker.

Anyone want a slightly used Emi L1058

The Emi L1058's sound great in the 4x10 cab for the main amp but as a single speaker in a combo cab it's just too small and boxy to create ambiance.

Don't we all wish we could get half price for all the speakers we've tried and replaced.?.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Hi Chuck,

I am planning to build an 4x6V6 head amp and a matching speaker cabinet for it. The main speaker will be a 10" and a 6-8" speaker will be mounted in the same cabinet.
    This will be the "reverb speaker". The reverb tank inside the head will be driven by the OTs secondaries with some attenuation - if necessary. Also inside the head will be a little 6BM8 SE Amp to recover and amplify the tanks output to the "reverb speaker". The head and cabinet will be connected with a stereo cable to supply both speakers with signal.

While I was searching on the net for speaker driven reverbs I found your thread here. I also found the one thread where you describe your level adjustment and level meter idea BUT I did not find the "original" thread where you obviously discuss speaker selection ......
    Can you give me a hint where to find this thread ?
    Did your reverb unit work as expected and : Is this setup an improvement over the traditional "in amp" reverb ?

Thanks!

FOUND IT! At your profile one can see "all started threads". From there it is a matter of time.....did not know that before!
    Thanks!
    Tilman
    Last edited by Tilman; 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah... Never having driven a tank from the OT secondary I went back and forth a lot with the circuit. After much research I did come up with a good circuit. I think I posted the schem for the completed amp too. If you don't have it I can post it again.

The reverb does sound better through a better speaker than the Emi 1058, but I never did change it. The guy I built it for likes the boxier tone.

As far as improvement over the typical in amp reverbs, this is much better. The reason I built it was that one of my customers preferes amps with built in reverb. Since my amps clip the power tubes as part of the distortion tones the typical built in reverb wasn't good enough. My customer wanted to be able to crank his amp for high gain and still have a clean reverberation. The only way to do that was to take the final distorted tone to the reverb and then re amplify it. Honestly though, if you play clean or use stomp boxes for your distortion I think an in amp type reverb is fine and much less complicated. Reverbrating the tone of clipping power tubes is where this outboard reverb stands out.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
      X