Need help-first project ever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help-first project ever!!!

I'm looking to build my first 2x12 guitar cab. I've never made a guitar cab before, so Im trying to do some research, stumbled upon this forum thought you guys could help!

I have no idea where to start, if anyone has any designs or plans that they would like to share that would be great!

Here's what I got as far as materials:

-2 Celestion G12S-50 speakers

That's it for materials so far. I want to make sure I grab the best materials possible. Also, I don't even know what the ohms are for my speakers or how many watts they have (I'm assuming they have 50 watts each).

PLEASE HELP, I REALLY need guidance. I'm an acoustic guitar player, but I want to get back to my roots as an electric guitarist!

Any help will be very much appreciated! THANKS!!!

Originally posted by matismele View Post
    I'm looking to build my first 2x12 guitar cab. I've never made a guitar cab before, so Im trying to do some research, stumbled upon this forum thought you guys could help!

I have no idea where to start, if anyone has any designs or plans that they would like to share that would be great!

Here's what I got as far as materials:

-2 Celestion G12S-50 speakers

That's it for materials so far. I want to make sure I grab the best materials possible. Also, I don't even know what the ohms are for my speakers or how many watts they have (I'm assuming they have 50 watts each).

PLEASE HELP, I REALLY need guidance. I'm an acoustic guitar player, but I want to get back to my roots as an electric guitarist!

Any help will be very much appreciated! THANKS!!!

Sounds like your in the infancy of the planning stage.... which could take a long time depending on how much research you decide to do. As far as advice I would start off by asking what you plan to build? 2 x 12 I know but open back or cloased back? Sonically open back are more forgiving than closed back and require no real calculations . I like to incorporate options in my cabs. maybe make it to where the back covers half as an open back and an additioal piece (identical to the other back piece) so you can try the same cab in closed back form. HUGE difference sonically. Do you want the speakers side by side or offset? Straight or angled? What do you plan to finnish it with? Thats important for what kind of joinery you may choose.

What kind of WOOD do you plan to use? For my money its voidless true cabinet grade 3\4" Baltic birch. Although Ive made some nice sounding cabs from MDF (to my ears the only downfall of MDF is weight). Ive even done 1.5" baltic birch and it sounded the best by far to me (but your doubling your cost in wood.).

Thats just a quick barage of questions to be answered with alot more depending on the answers.

Comment

Working...
    X