Modified tone stack on 5e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified tone stack on 5e3

Has anyone built this amp? just wondering if the tone stack sounded good. I have most of the parts to build this and was wondering how it sounded. I already have built a Mission 5e3 (all stock), so I was looking for something a little different. I love the 6v6 tubes!! I would like to do fixed bias and solid state rectification. Any thought comments or suggestions?

Also what do the 470R resistors do on pins 4 and 6 of the output tubes ? Should I increase the filter caps also?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gerard View Post
    what do the 470R resistors do on pins 4 and 6 of the output tubes ?
    Can't help you with the sound of that circuit but the 470Rs are the screen resistors. They use pin 6 as a tie point before sending the screen B+ to pin 4.

On the layout that "b" on pin 4 should be next to pin 6, because that is where the B+ comes in. If you connect "b" to pin 4 you are bypassing the screen resistors and the amp will work but you don't get the benefit of the 470Rs.

RWood

Comment

Looks like the S2 Amps version of the Tweed Deluxe. It basically sounds like a tighter 5E3, with a real bright channel and way less interaction between volume & tone, 6G3-style.

If you fancy old style or NOS 6V6GT's, you should replace the 250R with a 300R or 330R if your PT puts out more than 300V loaded; no problemo with JJ's.

Filtering caps should be rated for 500V with a modern PT - loaded voltages are AOK but you can get more than 470V unloaded.

I'd further defart the amp by lowering the post-PI coupling caps from 100n to 47n or even 22n if you play with high output pups.

Adding a 330K resistor between the cathodyne 1M and V2 pin 7 is a boon if you play modern style and crank the amp to stage levels. No more farting/blocking.

You may also consider splitting the 22K dropping R using say 18K and 4K7 and adding a fourth filter cap (C1: V3 & V4 plates, C2: V3 & V4 screens, C3: V2, C4: V1). Better response, less noise.

Filtering can also be improved by using 33/22/22(/22) µF. I wouldn't go above 33µF with a vintage 5Y3GT and a standard PT.

Oh, and don't forget to raise heaters, either thru a dedicated voltage divider or by connecting the PT 6V3 center tap to the top of the power tubes cathode R. The cathodyne can be quite hard to modern 12AX7's - particularly those of Russian manufacture - because of the heater to cathode voltage diff, reducing it is a Good Thing™ (and also reduces heater-induced hum).

Comment

Thanks RWood and fyl for your input. All good tips to remember. I always like to post questions before I start to build: I will defart this amp using your suggestions.
        I am wondering now if I should use 6l6 tubes, I plan on using a solid state rectifier with a 300-0-300 PT? I would like more punch, and all my other amps are cathode biased, Any thoughts?
        Thanks again.!

Comment

6L6's => 5 to 6K pri OT and 10W cathode resistor.

Comment

Working...
          X