Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there dander in a Solid State amp?? Resoldering filter caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there dander in a Solid State amp?? Resoldering filter caps?

It was suggested to me at the Fender Forum to resolder and silicone the filter caps on my problematic Fender Deluxe90. Is there any high voltage to worry about or do I just "have at 'er?"

Yes, lots of "dander", and danger....though the voltages are not as high as a tube amp, the solid state amps will usually have +/- 40 volts or so on the filter caps, the higher wattage amp and rating filter cap the higher the voltage. So just discharge them first and you'll be okay!

Comment

discharging caps

If you have not built a discharging tool, one thing you can do is to discharge the caps by playing. With your amp running, guitar plugged in, and speakers for a load -- unplug the amp from the wall outlet and keep playing the guitar. You will hear the guitar for a short while and then it will get dimmer and dimmer. What you are doing is driving the amp with the charge in the caps. After the sound is all gone for about 5 seconds, so should the the charge in the caps be gone. Not a perfect solution, but if that's all you have---

John

Comment

<unplug the amp from the wall outlet and keep playing the guitar>

this is more my speed. I will give it a try.

Here, hold my beer.Know any last minute prayers?

Comment

They discharge themselves in a few seconds. If in doubt, measure the voltage in them with your meter. That last 2 volts that hangs around will not hurt you.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. There was no reading on the meter so I went ahead. Siliconed them into place and will solder them tommorrow when the silicone has cured a tad. Sure hope this helps, it's pretty frustrating. Thanks again.

Comment

Fender Deluxe 90 filter caps

hello,
              i just saw the posts in music electronics forum about your question on replacing the filter caps in your Fender Deluxe 90. i was wondering what the initial problem was with your amp. i've got one buzzing like crazy and i was wondering if replacing the filter caps would fix it? was your buzzing? is that why you were replacing them? my email is joliff@bellsouth.net

Comment

More likely that your filter caps need to be resoldered than actually replaced at this point. FLip oer the board and resoler tham and see what happens.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks and - oh well

thanks for your quick reply on previous message. resoldering filter caps did not eliminate buzz. here are some sympton details. it's quiet until you plug in a guitar or even just the cable and then the loud buzz starts. i notice if i wave the guitar cable without guitar the buzz gets louder when cable end is near the power supply/transformer, especially when close to the the black and red leads near the board - more louder and more intense - i know intense is not very technical, but......

Joe O.

Comment

Working...
                  X