PT with no HT center tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...too late [I told the sit-in guy anyway, a few weeks ago] :-D

Yes, I use an old DOD comp. for my boost and tend to run cleaner than some. [that grit was great in the late '60s and '70s but I get tired of hearing it all the time]

Technically minded readers....I bought a purple/blue 6-LED 12V assembly to light up the inside of this combo. I thought just a little cap and recto off the 6.3V would be enough [gives me under 9 volts DC] but the 6 diodes don't light up [they do with a 12V wallwart but I have no room in back for that].

Is there a way to bump up that DC another volt or two?

Comment

How about a voltage doubler rectifier and regulate back down with a zener. Plenty of current at the wind to support it.

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

[I got it louder too]

I finally got the LEDs goin' in the Jetson TV amp. I found a cheap little chrome bezel w/ 6 UV-colored LEDs in front. That'll finish it off, at least until I find a Philco or some other TV badge.

I bought a similar fixture for inside, a 7-inch bar w/ about 8 blue LEDs. There's really nothing worth lighting up back there, but what the heck. They're a lot brighter and nearly wash out the orange pilot light.
        I like 'em. I'll probably get some more blue ones if/when the purple front ones burn out.

To power these I found a small 11+ volt wallwart and installed it under the chassis to an RCA jack, to plug in the light leads.
        I didn't know enough to figure out an 11v DC scheme with a Zener diode and a little voltage doubler off the 6.3V. Next time though.

Now I know why the thing sounded like 35 watts. I had too large a cathode resistor to the power tubes. They were only running around 18 ma each. I found a 250 ohm/12 watt and swapped out the 650 ohm. Now I'm getting from 32 to 39 ma.
        That sounds hotter than I run a Fender; you think that'll be OK in a K-bias amp though?

Comment

Awesome amp! This is just the kind of creativity I would expect from a denizen of Pacific Grove! Nice job!

Comment

Denizen! ...good word. Like skulker, lurker, cave dweller. All apt for Summer here today: it's downright cold and damp. Might as well stay in and tinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Baxtercat View Post
              Now I'm getting from 32 to 39 ma.
              That sounds hotter than I run a Fender; you think that'll be OK in a K-bias amp though?
              I think 32 to 39 ma is not to hot for k-bias. 250 ohms is the value most k-biased Fenders with two 6L6 ran at, anyway. Do the tubes redplate?

Comment

Originally posted by Baxtercat View Post
                ..Summer here today: it's downright cold and damp...
                I feel your pain. Some of my mis-spent youth was mis-spent at the Presidio. P.G. always impressed me as being kind of quirky and artsy (I mean this in a good way). I was really into rock-climbing in those days and we used to go "bouldering" on the sea-wall at the local park. There were often a bunch of SCA guys in the park wearing armor and whacking each other with rattan "swords". It had a fun vibe.

Comment

Hiya Tx...[just saw your reply here; thanks]
                  No, the 6P3S's seem to be running fine. The amp is nice and loud too.

It's still a tad 'bluesier' than the Twins or Bassman amps I'm used to.
                  So, next I'll try:
                  a) deleting some midrange with a cap and resistor,
                  b) a slightly larger K resistor, and/or
                  c) fixed bias, once I figure out where to get some voltage for that.

[Or leave it softer—some folks pay for that feature.
                  Heck, I've got plenty of amps.]

Comment

...now featured in our 'video'

I added a plexiglas porthole to beam more sterilizing blue light rays out.

...and my daughter just made a 'video' from an old TEAC deck original instrumental I'd recorded about 23 years ago.
                    She shot the footage around the neighborhood [and in the house] and put it all up on YouTube.

[Reef Walker]
                    YouTube - Reef Walker (Original Instrumental)

Comment

Working...
                    X