Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha G50-112II or DG80 112 or Flextone III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha G50-112II or DG80 112 or Flextone III?

Edit: I realized this is in the wrong forum after posting it. I can't find a delete-post button, or a way to move it to a better place, so if one of the admins wants to tweak the forum that'd be cool. GF

I have a Yamaha G50-112II that I bought new many years ago. I pulled it from the closet, spent a few minutes spinning the knobs to get rid of the noise, and it's singing again.

I will be using it with one of Line 6's X3-Live floor systems, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to switch to something like a Line 6 Flextone III 1x12 or one of Yamaha's DB80 112 combos (if I can find one) instead of the G50.

Because the G50-112 doesn't have an effects loop I'll have to run the X3 into the guitar input, which will then have all the preamp and tone knobs to traverse, possibly coloring the sound of the X3.

I don't really want to do that so I started thinking of alternatives. I could get a small power-amp, but then I'd probably want separate cabinets, but getting a cabinet that doesn't color the sound is not easy, because most guitar cabinets are designed to color it one way or another.

Then I thought looking for a modeling amp with effect loops would work well because then I could plug into it, avoiding the preamp stage in the amp, and hopefully avoid some intentional coloring of the sound by whatever speaker is in it because the maker would want to have the sound be flexible. That lead me to think about the Flextone III. Reading up on it lead me to some reviews for the Yamaha DG80, and, because I've always liked the sound of the Yamaha amps I kind of went full-circle.

The newer modeling amps have a plus because they have additional effects which I could probably use in addition to what the X3 has.

So, my question is, do y'all think I should stick with the G50 and plug into the regular input, use the "A" channel to stay as clean as the amp can, or go with the newer modeling amps figuring they'll be more neutral and give me some additional flexibility.

As a bonus question: Any comments on the long-term viability of Yamaha's DG80 motorized knobs? The docs say it will be bitchy if the knob can't get to its set position within 20 seconds. I hear "planned obsolesce" whispering in my head when I read their docs about it.
    Last edited by rtmd30; 05-01-2010, 10:48 PM. Reason: wrong forum

You have a very good amplifier.
    You can set it quite flat: bass and treble on "5", mid on "10", bright switch off, that's about it.
    It's a good workhorse to reamplify your already processed sound.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      You have a very good amplifier.
      You can set it quite flat: bass and treble on "5", mid on "10", bright switch off, that's about it.
      It's a good workhorse to reamplify your already processed sound.
      I had to stop and think about why you'd say mid on 10, then remembered the mid is a cut on that amp isn't it? That would explain why the sound was not as full as I wanted.

Thanks.

I was looking at the schematic for it wondering if it made sense to add an effects loop, which might work better with the X3. I don't know that the amp has much collector's value but if it does I wouldn't want to hack it up.

Comment

Hi, here you are, all courtesy of our friend Enzo, please be sure to thank him:
        http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics...ha_G50-112.PDF
        http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._data_gray.PDF
        http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._series_II.pdf
        Enjoy.
        As a side note, I think that in this kind of very clean and transparent amplifiers you gain nothing by adding an effects loop, and by using the front input you still retain the choice of making very small, subtle, last minute tone tweaking to adapt to different room acoustics .
        If you still insist on doing so, please confirm which of these schematics matches your amplifier best.
        Good luck.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi, here you are, all courtesy of our friend Enzo, please be sure to thank him:
          http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics...ha_G50-112.PDF
          http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._data_gray.PDF
          http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._series_II.pdf
          Enjoy.
          As a side note, I think that in this kind of very clean and transparent amplifiers you gain nothing by adding an effects loop, and by using the front input you still retain the choice of making very small, subtle, last minute tone tweaking to adapt to different room acoustics .
          If you still insist on doing so, please confirm which of these schematics matches your amplifier best.
          Good luck.
          I just got done fixing a Yamaha G50-112 for a fellow and it is a very well made amp. I kind of hope he never comes back.

Comment

Well, "never" is a very big word.
            Considering the poor construction of these pieces of junk, i guess it will definitely give you some trouble in no longer than, say, 20 to 30 years from now.
            Consider this a fair warning !!
            Another reminder that, contrary to what many think, Japan is not the same as China
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you Enzo!

Good luck.
              It's the last one; The amp is the G50-112ii.

Yes, it is very neutral sounding and the FETs give it a tube-like sound. That's why I bought it. I think you're right that going into the normal input would work well. The amp has a parametric EQ in addition to the regular tone controls, and a pull-Fat switch so I can adjust its sound easily.

I also have my original Mesa Boogie Black Widow (or is it Black Shadow) speaker from my old Mark IIB that I could put into the amp to warm it up a bit.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom!

Comment

Well, "never" is a very big word.
                Considering the poor construction of these pieces of junk, i guess it will definitely give you some trouble in no longer than, say, 20 to 30 years from now.
                Consider this a fair warning !!
                I'll have to get wheels on an amp stand so I can push it in front of my walker then. :-)

Another reminder that, contrary to what many think, Japan is not the same as China
                Agreed. The amp and guitar I bought 20-30 years ago are still going strong.

Comment

Working...
                X