Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any good cheap fillister screws around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any good cheap fillister screws around ?

i have made a few humbuckers using stew mac fillister screws . i got guys wanting me to make some humbuckers for them, nothing vintage, more heavier sounding pickup JBish & alnico 8 stuff , i was wondering if anybody found some good sounding fillister screws .maybe i just have to order some & test .i found these
    http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/MSCMSF.cfm
    McMaster-Carr
    microfasteners do have nickel plated
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Mojo, all parts, and pretty much every supplier has the screws you're looking for. they all pretty much sound different. Thats the reason I have my own screws made, also my own slugs and keeper bars. Its nice to have a friend who is a machinest. This way I know they will be consistant because I buy the steel that is used to manufacture them. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more screw suppliers for you.
    Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

stew mac screws are around .42 cents each mojo's are out of stock rite now but there around .33 cents each . i was looking for a hundred or two,im just trying to save some money and still make a nice sounding humbucker

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
        i have made a few humbuckers using stew mac fillister screws . i got guys wanting me to make some humbuckers for them, nothing vintage, more heavier sounding pickup JBish & alnico 8 stuff , i was wondering if anybody found some good sounding fillister screws .maybe i just have to order some & test .i found these
        http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/MSCMSF.cfm
        McMaster-Carr
        microfasteners do have nickel plated
        Hi

The Mcmasters ones won´t be much good as they are stainless steel.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

i noticed that just after i posted the link they only have 5-40 in stainless

Comment

I bought a small batch of the microfastener screws a couple years ago, they sounded good to me. Who knows who they sourced them from back then vs. now, but they're certainly cheap enough to give a shot.

Comment

thanks..... im gonna to order some and try them

Comment

I've got a big ass bag of the mojo vintage ones I dont want. I'll sell them below what mojo would charge. I think I have something like 100 sets and I want to offload them.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                  I've got a big ass bag of the mojo vintage ones I dont want. I'll sell them below what mojo would charge. I think I have something like 100 sets and I want to offload them.
                  I bet you do.

Comment

What does THAT mean?

Comment

Just an abbreviated way of saying I don't like them either.

Comment

Ahhhhh! I thought you were saying something negative about me! Now that makes sense :> My apology for mis-interpreting that.

They arent the best screw thats for sure. They sure do teach you alot about using different alloys though. I think I checked them and they were 1022 or something like that. Quite dark sounding. You know they might actually work well with ceramic... I didnt think about that.

Comment

Yeah 1022, you sure about that, mine are so bright/brittle I just hate em. I'm stuck with about 100 of em and I'll never use them.

Comment

are you talking about the vintage screws from mojo ?they sell them for $4.00 a set dont they ? maybe they get them from microfasteners ......haha
                            thanks for the offer belwar, i will just order the stew mac screws that i have been using and i will get some cheap screws from microfasteners to test
                            thanks

Comment

Those microfasteners screws aren't all that bad; I got a bunch of them about a year ago and they are literally interchangeable with 60s T top screws. Look identical, sound identical. Read pretty identical on the LCR meter too. Don't know if they're all like that, but the batch I rec'd is. I know t tops aren't pafs, but they're pretty cool in their own right especially if you're going for that early 70s vibe.

Comment

Working...
                              X