No announcement yet.

Roland Cube 60 input jack replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Cube 60 input jack replacement?

Does anyone know a way to replace/rewire/etc. a bad input jack on a Cube 60?
    Roland says they only sell the whole back assembly at $299. I just bout this and it was working perfectly, except the input jack was loose from wear so, like an idiot, I unsoldered the the jack from the board it was attached to and put a standard jack on attached to the board with patch wires (seemed logical) Big mistake, as I ruined the board. I downloaded a free schematic thinking I might be able to duplicate that board, but it was too general. I would need one that just shows that input board. Anybody got a quick fix or other doable solution?

Board Repair

How bad did you "ruin" the board?
    Unless it is cracked in half, it should be fixable.
    What is ruined. The solder pads?
    Did you lift up copper traces?
    If the replacement jack has the same configuratuin as the old one, you should be able to run small jumper wires.
    In effect, a point to point system.

Comment

I thought I had it pretty good but there was not sound or even hum. I had all the wires in the proper slots (I check the old jack with an ohm meter to make sure - there was 1 to the tip and the other two were both ground so I used a stereo jack and coupled the middle and ground to replicate the jack I removed). I ruined the board when I removed the new jumper wires (gun was too hot) so it might have also fried something else. I might be able to get a piece of solder on it again, but it didn't work the first time, so???

Comment

I've searched for solutions or parts on the web in vain, so I guess I'll put this puppy in storage and watch the craislist until another one comes up or one with a similar input board I can cannibalize. I should of JB Welded the old jack back into place and have been done with it, but no - I had to get innovative (what a fool). I hope somebody reading this learns from my mistake (or does a better job).

Aloha!
        Mike

Comment

Have you tried taking it to an amp repairman or even a TV repairman or someone that could just be a second set of eyes to look at it and see if you missed anything?

jamie

Comment

Thanks Jamie. I did get in touch with an amp repairman through a local music store who will look at it next week. I'll post his findings.

Mike

Comment

That Jack is a standard Roland part and I may have one from junk parts I have laying around. If your amp tech has trouble repairing it, take a picture of the board and jack and I'll dig through my junk pile and see if I can find something similar or maybe an exact replacement.

CJ
              CJLectronics

Comment

Thanks CJ. I gave the part and schematic to my repairman in hopes that he can get it working or rewire it. Attached is a scanned jpg of the the board. The jack was a black panel jack with 3 prongs connecting it to the board at the burned holes. The board has 2 resistors and 1 capacitor (the latter, I'm afraid, fell to the power of my nuclear soldering gun). 1 prong was to ground, 2 were connected to the tip. If you zoom in you can see the part number and circuit drawing.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you nee4d this jack. it can be purchased at this company by general public. Antique Electronic Supply part# is S-H533 just cut off pin 3 as its not needed.

Comment

All finished.

Thanks for the input. I found a local technician who cleaned up the circuit board I pretty much destroyed and then rebuilt it with wires. He also had that jack. Good to go!

Mike

Comment

I have same amp and same problem - except the board has a burn mark on it. Where do you get new board for the jack?

Comment

Larry: You can't get a new board at a reasonable price because the board actually comes attached to the mainboard (you break it off for installation) and Roland charges more than the amp is worth for it (I called). What I ended up doing was taking my amp to a guy who repairs amps and, for $65, he rewired my board using regular wire on the board itself. Works fine now. BTW: I just bought the Cube 80x for my school and, to me, it doesn't sound as good as a jazz amp, so fix your cube 60 if you can. Good luck.

Comment

actually, I just called Roland and ordered two jacks for 5 bucks each, plus 6 dollars shipping!!!!

Comment

Just started a 70 date theatre gig and my (loose) jack on my trusty Cube 60 has started crackling...

My question is how to remove the amp unit from the cabinet.

I removed the 8 long screws that go through both sides of the cabinet in to amp unit, but wouldn't budge : )

Comment

Oh, ho, ho.
                              A real treat these Cubes are.
                              There is double sided tape holding the front part of the chassis in.
                              I think top & both sides.
                              Chassis removes from the rear.
                              Wiggle it.
                              Twist it.
                              Shake it.
                              Hit it.
                              It will come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X