Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin TSL100 problem

Anyone have a schem for this guy?

Seems the 2 100ohm filament resistors to ground fried taking out the fuse.
    I replaced them and they're fine until I turned the standby on ...POOF!
    same thing happened....I'm guessing power tubes, whaddya' think?

Try it with the power tubes removed,if it doesnt blow the fuse or fry those resistors the problem is there.

Comment

Also take a careful look at the power tube sockets. Lots of times arcing from pin 3 to 2 can cook stuff in the heater circuit.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that too!
        Sockets look okay, it powers up fine without the power tubes and has signal all the way up to the power tube grids.
        besides the 2 100 ohm dc filaments to ground, located on a preamp board, there are also 2 fried resistors from the power tube filaments to ground, which I'm guessing are also something like a pair of 100 ohms.

I assume they had a pair each for the dc heaters and also the regular ac heaters.

Comment

And all you gotta do to get the drawings is call Carvin, they wil email them to you in a minute.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sounds like your power tubes have a short from the cathodes to the heaters.Like Enzo says contact Carvin and get a schem.to be sure,but I dont think dc heaters would have the 100ohm resistors like an ac heater.

Comment

thanks I will!
              they may not be 100 ohm resistors (guessing from a similiar schem) they're toast so you can't tell what they were!

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
                Sounds like your power tubes have a short from the cathodes to the heaters.Like Enzo says contact Carvin and get a schem.to be sure,but I dont think dc heaters would have the 100ohm resistors like an ac heater.
                ~ 350ohms from the plate to the the filament on one of the tubes!
                ..............OUCH..........POOF!

Comment

Well that solves that,eh?While you're in there check your screen resistors,when tubes blow these have a tendency take them with them,just a precaution,they dont always go.

Comment

Hey Drew try checking from the screen to the heater and see what you get. If it's around 80 ohms you most likely have a short there in the middle of the board. If this is the case the filter cap connected to that resistor will also be shorted from + to ground at about 80 ohms.
                    KB

Comment

Drew are you sure this is a Carvin ? They aren't showing it on the Carvin website ?
                      KB

Comment

yes It's a Carvin!
                        called em yesterday and they sent me a schem.
                        I was right, there's 2 100ohm resistors to ground for the AC filament AND 2 100ohms to ground for the DC filament.

Comment

hmmm that doesn't make sense for the dc as the reason for the 100 ohms to ground is to act as a hum balance for DC unless that DC is elevated but they wouldn't be going to ground it would be a voltage divider. Have you found the problem yet ?
                          KB

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                            ~ 350ohms from the plate to the the filament on one of the tubes!
                            ..............OUCH..........POOF!

Bad tube as stated above....

Comment

Working...
                            X