Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much voltage swing for a bias-wobble tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much voltage swing for a bias-wobble tremolo?

Hi again guys,

The title mostly says it... I'm going to implement a power tube bias-wiggle trem circuit kinda similar to that on 5F11 vibrolux or something like that... but using a LND150 instead of a triode for the oscillator. I've got it up and simming nicely in LTSpice, but have one final question before going for it...

When the circuit is set to minimum speed and maximum "depth", what is is the most voltage swing I should target in the bias voltage.... i.e. if I have a -25V bias voltage, do I want it to swing more like -20 to -30 (20% swing each direction), or less, or more?
    How much in everyone's experience can you swing these things (either in absolute terms or percentage wise) before you start to run into transient redplating issues....

FWIW, the amp I have in mind should be able to run either 6V6s or 6L6s, towards the "class Aish" end of the spectrum.

Fender's Vibrolux Reverb (6L6 amp) uses 55V p-p with intensity at 100% as a check; nominal bias is -45V. From that one might shoot for p-p trem voltage ~120% of bias voltage.

MPM

Comment

Originally posted by martin manning View Post
      Fender's Vibrolux Reverb (6L6 amp) uses 55V p-p with intensity at 100% as a check; nominal bias is -45V. From that one might shoot for p-p trem voltage ~120% of bias voltage.

MPM
      Thanks, MPM, this is just the type of information I'm looking for... that's a bit more than I intuitively might have expected, but if I'm understanding right bias will vary from -72.5V to -17.5V or so. Pretty warmish on the one end...but deathly cold on the other, I guess it all works out so long as the frequency of oscillation isn't too long...

Comment

Working...
      X