Designing for AB2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smitty,

FWIW, I just set up a Marshall recently to feed the choke/screens/preamp from the PT CT of a FWB setup, it worked fine.

Triode Electronics has a new driver transformer with a 20K CT primary (10mA max DC imbalance) and four separate 20K secondaries (30mA max AC current capability per winding, I just learned this morning), which might work pretty well, for about $20. You could drive it with a P-P 12AT7 and parallel secondary pairs, loading each w/5K to the sec. CT - at least that's how I'd do it, but YMMV.

The Zener mod works by dumping excess cap-plate electrons to ground during the negative swing - I can't see any corresponding mechanism at work using transformer drive, and with substantial resistive loading it really shouldn't be needed.

Ray

Comment

With that IT why not "go for the gold" and do an SVT style PI? Gain Stage -> Concertina -> PP gain stage driving two of the windings -> PP CF driving the other two? 12bh7s are purely optional .

Comment

Ray,

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ivers View Post

FWIW, IMO the simplest drop-in AB2-drive circuit for a Super Reverb output stage is unquestionably a transformer; MV, 12DW7 pre-driver/driver w/12AU7 half driving the tranny primary single-ended (a 12AU7 would also work well if you didn't need the gain of the 12AX7 half of the DW7)...

Ray
          Ray, excellent suggestion. I'm going to give this a try. With both the DW and the AU.

...Zener-regulated negative supply to a low-value bias pot & the tranny secondary center tap, secondary ends (w/loading R's to the center tap) thru low-value stoppers to the output tube grids, badda-bing, badda-boom. In a zero-NFB PA design I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best-sounding option either,...

Ray
          I've got a few questions on this part. Can you shoot me an email?

smittyatbluesamps.com

...and an excellent transformer (the Allied 6W68HF, about the size of a Fender choke) costs about $14 the last time I checked.

Ray
          1:1 / 10K:10K at 9W seems perfect. Thanks! Doesn't look shielded. Do I need to worry about placement to avoid hum pickup?

Thanks,

Smitty

Comment

Smitty,

1:1 / 10K:10K at 9W seems perfect. Thanks! Doesn't look shielded. Do I need to worry about placement to avoid hum pickup?
            Maybe just the usual precautions - not too near another transformer, orienting the lams at right angles if feasible, etc. - the placement in-circuit is at just about the lowest-gain point there is, so it shouldn't be too much of a PITA to get the amp quiet & stable. This transformer might even fit inside the chassis if needed, but then you'd want to keep it away from the OT/PT leads and the preamp wiring.

I'll shoot you an E-mail about the bias circuit.

Ray

Comment

Re reading this years later, i understand even less than then! Daft me!

Well, guys, if any of you are about, i hope all is fine in, your lives!

Comment

Hey, glad to see you around
                You had been "lost" for quite a good time
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Good to see you Max! Welcome back.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the welcome back guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X