Whats important to twist together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats important to twist together?

So I would like to know what is important to have twisted together. is it good to have the B+ twisted with a ground wire? What should not cross audio lines?

Mainly you are concerned that AC current will radiate hum into your audio circuits. SO in tube amps, we twist the AC wires for the heaters. And to reduce any coupling, we want to cross those AC wires and our signal wires at right angles when possible.

You can twist power transformer leads too, but for the most part, they are not distributed around the amp chassis, so it is less of an issue.

B+ and other DC supplies don;t radiate anything.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks. I will try to keep my leads as short as possible.

Comment

For what this is worth. Even though my heater wires are dc for the preamps tubes, I twist them as well. It just helps keep the wiring inside a "little" neater. Also, I use a hand drill to twist the pair of wire for the power tube heaters. It helps make the winding very tight.

-g

Comment

Can't fault that. Keeping the wiring neat and trim not only makes it look better, but it will ultimately make it easier to work on later, and a lot easier to follow the wiring than it would be with the typical bird's nest of wires.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X