Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker slug or screw coil to "hot" lead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker slug or screw coil to "hot" lead...

Hello, all. This is my first post at this great forum - glad I found it! I am very new to pickup construction tech. I know that you can reverse "start" and "finish" wires and still retain the conventional humbucker wiring and not change tone or phase necessarily. Yet...

Does it matter tonally (however slight) whether you use the slug or screw coil lead as the "hot" lead? Of course, other than this switch changing polarity/phase in combination with another pickup. I'm pretty it isn't a big distinction since makers use either "coils" as hot, but I wanted to get an expert insight to make sure.

Any other advice or comments on this topic would be much appreciated. Thank you...
    Last edited by In The Light; 02-07-2007, 05:34 PM.
    In The Light

www.inthelightband.com

www.myspace.com/inthelight

Nobody's going to help the newbie? C'mon guys, I know you've got the insight here - if not here than where?? Thanks!
    Last edited by In The Light; 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM.
    In The Light

www.inthelightband.com

Comment

I don't think it matters.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've heard that it doesn't matter by another person too. I've seen designs using both slug and screw coils as "hot", but just wasn't sure. Especially since I read about how the slug coil is slightly hotter than the screw coil, because the slug coils are in direct contact with the magnet and touch on the magent directly on the bottom, while the screw coils are in indirect contact with the magnet, connected by the metal "spacer" (or whatever you want to call it), and protrude out the bottom, losing field that way...

Just thought it was worth bringing up.
        Last edited by In The Light; 02-10-2007, 09:31 AM.
        In The Light

www.inthelightband.com

Comment

Working...
        X