I found some amps in Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found some amps in Montana

I'm in Montana of vacation. Today I went amp hunting in the local pawn shops, and thrift stores and came across a few amplifiers. The first was a Silvertone 1482 in a pawn store that I grabbed for $50. That one was really cool to find after only about a half hour into the hunt. At the final stop we were making, a consignment store there were two amps. A Montgomery Wards Standard Model (ca1948) All octal. It's in pretty nice shape, and sounds great. $100. I couldn't pay the gal fast enough, as if the price were going to change before I could hand her the cash. The other amp that was there was a Lectrolab Model R 500C 2X12AX7, 2X6BQ5, I forget what the rectifier was, but I think it was 6v. Is anyone familiar with this amp. It sounds good, and the price isn't bad. Any input would be great. TIA, John

I've got a Sound Projects (Lectrolab) R200B sitting here next to me. You're right, there's not much info on the 'net on that company. But it is indeed kinda cool for a 45+ year old amp.

Comment

Schematic Heaven has several of the Lectrolab schematics, if yours is missing one.

I picked up an R600 earlier this year, which does use the 6V rectifier (6X5). I've got it partly sorted out...the tremolo is still noisy. Anyway, it's still fun to play.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys; I decided to not buy the lectrolab. I'm pretty happy with the two that I shipped home today. Besides I already have a good sized backlog of projects.

The wards/danelectro amp has been re-capped, and had a three prong plug installed. It sounds great, and probably wont need to be messed with. The 1482 seems to just need some power supply filter caps replaced to fix it, but they're fun to play with so it could be a more involved project. I'm having fun up here, and finding a couple amps made it better.

Comment

...um.. Ridin' your pygmy pony over by the dennil floss bush? Great score on the 1482. Its nice to know there's still deals out there.

Comment

you can see some information about Lectrolab models here: Lectrolab Guitar Amplifiers

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
              ...um.. Ridin' your pygmy pony over by the dennil floss bush? Great score on the 1482. Its nice to know there's still deals out there.
              With yer tweezers gleamin' in the moonlightty night.....I was wonderin' how long it would take for the Zappa references to start showin' up. Don't you be tarot-fied......
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
              X