Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B12x, two amps in one?

What if . . .

The way an Ampeg B12x generates reverb (ECHO) is via a separate amp and satellite speaker. What if I used the reverb side of the amp for bedroom volume levels with a resistive load on the main amp output to silence and bypass the reverb springs for a non-reverb sound on the reverb amp?

Note attached schematic.

Reverb side of the amp uses a single ended 6V6 (V9). Main amp uses pp 6L6's (V1,V2). Looks like the main OT (T2) is tapped for the input of the reverb springs. Is this right?

I might work up a DPDT switch for the Main speaker to use it for the reverb out (V9, lower power level bedroom level) when the load is engaged for the main amp.

Am I just blowing smoke?
    Your thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Ampeg B12X, B18N
    Tubeworks Realtube II - Crown D75a - S2010 x 2 + Bag End S15-D

I'd take a look at what you'd be playing into first. The recovery section of the reverb amp has loads of gain and has an eq network which will make your guitar sound thin at best. Easy enough to figure out if you'd like it though-- just tap into the first or second triode's input.

Comment

Tap pin 1(screen) of V8 as input? From say pin 4 for V5 for a cascading input section with channel volume (R3C) and "master volume" being "echo dimension" (R9A)?

Engage a load to silence V1,2 output.

Use "satellite spkr." out to the orig. C12 Jensen?

This is making my head spin.

Also, might experiment with using one of the inputs (say J4 "accordion") to feed directly to V8 @ pin 1.

What do I need to consider to not blow this thing up? I don't want to burn up the nice potted OT (T2)
      Ampeg B12X, B18N
      Tubeworks Realtube II - Crown D75a - S2010 x 2 + Bag End S15-D

Comment

Originally posted by 4bassman4 View Post
        Tap pin 1(screen) of V8 as input? From say pin 4 for V5 for a cascading input section with channel volume (R3C) and "master volume" being "echo dimension" (R9A)?
        Forget taking the signal from the regular channel you don't need more gain to drive the 6V6! Just put your guitar signal into pin1 of V8

Engage a load to silence V1,2 output.

Use "satellite spkr." out to the orig. C12 Jensen?

Yes you can do that.

This is making my head spin.

Also, might experiment with using one of the inputs (say J4 "accordion") to feed directly to V8 @ pin 1.

Before you go and solder in something why not try it first?

What do I need to consider to not blow this thing up? I don't want to burn up the nice potted OT (T2)

Well if the load is sufficient than you won't blow it up.
        But, honestly there are better solutions than what you are trying to do. Like I said before the reverb recovery section is just not set up for running the guitar signal through-- it's made for a low impedance, low output signal like from the reverb tank. What you'll get sound wise will be very distorted, lacking bass and probably any mods you do will ruin the value of the amp.
        Why not try a power soak or a pedal instead?

Comment

Working...
        X