Taking The Plunge on an AC30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking The Plunge on an AC30 Build

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I've decided to attempt an AC30 build and I was hoping you might offer some suggestions.

I've done some work on amps before (converted a Traynor YGM-3 to mostly AC15 specs, coverted a Hammond AO-35 to a Carmen Ghia clone), but I've never attempted a complete build from scratch. I'm planning on working slowly and taking my time. I'm also trying to use what I have on hand, which means making use of a Hammond AO-29 chassis. The AO-29 isn't *IDEAL* for an AC30 - it's 2x6V6 instead of 4xEL84 and narrow, but at least it's long - but I'm willing to do the necessary work to make it happen (like installing noval sockets where necessary). The iron on the amp isn't really going to work for this project, but that's OK - I was planning on getting some Vox transformers (if anyone has any affordable recommendations that will provide good sound, please let me know). I realize that this amp would probably suit another amp build better - like a Club Deluxe (AC30 front end into 2x6V6) or even a 2x6V6 style plexi amp. But I've been jonesing for an AC30 long enough and I want something that will really nail that sound.

Circuit wise, I was thinking something along the lines of Normal and/or EF86 Channel along with a Top Boost channel. I also might add the simpler tremolo grom the Pacemaker (I know one of the board members here has built an AC30 just like this one).

One thought on the chassis - I'm thinking of using a 36 watt chassis and build the amp "Marshall" style as opposed to the traditional Vox style chassis (except of course for the AC30HW which was built on a Marshall-style chassis). Any thought on a good source for a prepunched 36 watter? This will bring the price up, but I've seen a few in the $40/$50 range which might be worth the effort of gutting the Hammond.

Any thoughts, tips or comments are appreciated.

Cheers!
    Jerry

Is getting a blank chassis and drilling/punching the holes yourself an option? The advantage of this is you have the freedom to design the layout how you want rather than having to work within the constraints of a pre-drilled/punched chassis.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply!

I have given some thought to getting a blank chassis and drilling the holes. The only issues would be punching the larger things, like the transformer cutouts and the octal base for the GZ34 tube. I've been looking around to see if I can find standup power and output transformers for an AC30 - at least that would solve the cutout for the PT.

I also came across these two options:

18/36 Flex Chassis

Hazely Tube Amps - Chassis

Both offer "universal" 36 watt chassis options, though the Brown Note chassis seems to have more control options available.

So I could go this route, or get a set of punches and a blank chassis box. I did see a set of punches for around $35...so a blank chassis and punch set would cost right around what one of these would cost. It would probably pay for itself on the second build.

Comment

An alternative to chassis punches is stepped drill bits. This is what I've used for all the chassis holes in the builds I've done so far. The results are quite good.

For a lay down transformer you can use a knibbling tool to do the square cutout.

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X