No announcement yet.

Roland Juno-106 VCO/VCA/VCF issues.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Juno-106 VCO/VCA/VCF issues.....

I don't know how many of you work or have worked on these, but I've seen a ton of these over the years, all with the same issues requiring replacement of the VCO and VCA/VCF hybrid IC's, which are no longer available.

I always noticed that these IC's tended to age and drop dead at the same rate, indicating a time-related issue.

It has come to my attention that the issue is the potting compound itself. Rather than being chemically-inert epoxy, it is a petroleum-based compound that apparently develops partial conductivity as it ages (reminiscent of the old SPX90 PSU problem). The GOOD thing is that you can soak these chips for a few days in acetone, and the potting compound comes right off. Using dental picks, you can clean up the leftover compound stuck between the legs of the SMD IC's, being careful not to damage the resistors that are silk-screened on the board. In most cases, this cleanup is all that is needed. Reinstall the chips, sans potting compound, recalibrate the unit, and all SHOULD be fine.

I cannot take credit for this idea. I found it on the web, and there is someone on eBay charging $160 for chip overhaul. Anyway, I have a set of chips soaking in acetone right now. I removed most of the compound and am soaking them again to assist removal of the small stuff. I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome. I am hopeful and have my fingers (AND toes!) crossed.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Well more power to you and bless your little heart, I have to say.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi John

Good luck!

If all else fails, I seem to remember seeing adaptor boards that let you replace the Juno hybrid modules with a bunch of LM13700s or the like.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Guys....there are replacements available now....

80017A VCF VCA JUNO-106 VOICE CHIP FILTER IC REPLACEMENT

They are said to be very close to the originals and not prone to failure.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

That's the ones I was thinking of!

He's photoshopped out the numbers on the chips, but I bet they're something like LM13700s.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Cool. I checked my drawer. I still have one of their 5534 things, but no more 80017.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
              Guys....there are replacements available now....

80017A VCF VCA JUNO-106 VOICE CHIP FILTER IC REPLACEMENT

They are said to be very close to the originals and not prone to failure.
              I saw those during an internet search. Notice that they are not potted.

For $250 Euro, it's worth a shot soaking them in a buck's worth of acetone.
              John R. Frondelli

Comment

Well, we just wrapped-up the first one of these and I am happy to announce that this procedure was a COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!

This is a great one to keep in your back pocket. There's a YouTube vid of this (not by me) as well.
                John R. Frondelli

Comment

I bought a Juno 106 for $50 at a music store garage sale a few years ago, and it never made any sound. Now you have me wondering if that could be why.

I think I'm going to get me a container of acetone this weekend, and ask our neighbours across the street for some dental picks (they run a dental office repair/supply business).

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X