Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a hybrid wiring method, please verify.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a hybrid wiring method, please verify.

I am modding a buddy's Les Paul and considering the shape of the original wiring, decided to completely wipe and start anew implementing a new wiring scheme (new simply meaning not the stock wiring). It's a cheap chinese LP knockoff not an original, so it's not like it will lose value or anything. I am wiring it soldering all grounds to the bridge volume pot instead of using two conductor wires throughout the entire signal path as it was wired stock.

Both humbuckers are two conductor type wires. Bridge is Blue and Neck is Red. Rather than trying to painfully explain everything I've done so far using words I will post a picture.

From here I will need to solder a wire from the bridge volume pot center lug to one of the switch wing contacts and another from the neck pot output to the opposite switch contact. Then I will run a wire from the switch contact between those two wings to the jack's tip connection. A wire from the switch ground to the bridge pot ground. And finally a wire from the jack ground to bridge pot. If I am forgetting something or going about this incorrectly, please let me know. Any tips are welcomed as well.
    Last edited by jakeac5253; 05-20-2010, 03:56 AM.

Anybody? I am waiting to move on until I get a confirmation that I am doing it correctly. That, and I am waiting for an input jack to come in but confirmation would be nice

Comment

For Les Paul wiring is it necessary to run a jumper from the back of the tone pot directly to the corresponding volume pot? Right now I have each pot jumpering directly to the back of the bridge pot alone. Should I jumper anything else (only regarding the pot wiring)?

Comment

Originally posted by jakeac5253 View Post
        For Les Paul wiring is it necessary to run a jumper from the back of the tone pot directly to the corresponding volume pot? Right now I have each pot jumpering directly to the back of the bridge pot alone. Should I jumper anything else (only regarding the pot wiring)?
        Do you mean for grounds? All the backs of the pots need to be grounded.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

It is hard to describe what I am asking using words, so I drew up a quick picture describing what I am asking. Picture one shows every pot having a return path to the bridge pot, which in turn is grounded somewhere else. The second picture shows the same return network as before, but now every pot is connected to every other pot through jumper wires. Is it necessary or better to use the second method?
          Attached Files

Comment

Slow forum? Or am I just annoying?

Comment

Check the Seymour Duncan site. There are wiring diagrams for about every variation you can imagine.

Comment

Working...
              X