Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what temp for soldering PCB connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what temp for soldering PCB connections?

I have a temp-controlled soldering station. I usually leave it up around 750 deg. for general work on eyelet board amps, cables & plugs, etc.

What is a good temp setting for working on amp PCBs?

Sounds fine to me. My WTCP station has tips in 600, 700, and 800 degrees. I have always used the 700 degree tips successfully. My Pace desoldering stations are usually set in the 700-750 range.

On circuit boards I am more concerned about wattage than temperature really.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I prefer to err on the side of too hot. With a hot iron you can make joints quickly before the heat has a chance to soak through, but with a cooler one you actually stand more chance of overheating things.

I usually run mine about 625 to 675 degrees, but I have no idea how accurate the readout is.

If the iron is too cool, the solder will feel kind of pasty and it won't flow nicely.

If it's too hot, the left-over solder on the tip will quickly go crusty, and the flux inside the solder wire will sputter violently.

If you see the tip glowing red, something is badly wrong.

Lead-free solder needs a bit more heat.

When trying to get through-hole components out of plated through boards, sometimes you need to turn it up as hot as it'll go. (840 degrees in my case.)
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I leave mine cranked, even for SMD work. I like to move fast like Steve mentioned.
        -Mike

Comment

Working...
        X