charging magnets question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging magnets question?

Will neodymium magnets charge alnico and ceramic bars as good as a magnetizer?

If neodymiums work as well, what size is recomended for bar magnets? (I already have the 1" dia from Stewmac.)

Thanks
    Last edited by markeymark; 02-08-2007, 10:40 PM.

Originally posted by markeymark View Post
    Will neodymium magnets charge alnico and ceramic bars as good as a magnetizer?

If neodymiums work as well what size is recomended for bar magnets? (I already have the 1" dia from Stewmac.)

Thanks
    I haven't tried it, but some others here say the neo magnets from StewMac are too small and don't charge the alnico rod up all the way.

You can't charge ceramics, as far as I know, because they are pretty hard to demagnetize.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      I haven't tried it, but some others here say the neo magnets from StewMac are too small and don't charge the alnico rod up all the way.

You can't charge ceramics, as far as I know, because they are pretty hard to demagnetize.
      I think I agree. I used to use two stacks of five 1cm cubic neo magnets to charge alnico (rods) but I'm happy with three per side (and let them slam into the alnico magnet a few times before moving onto the next) - it *feels* stronger. Maybe they would be better still if the magnetic circuit was completed from the unused sides of the magnets.

The trouble with a definitive answer is that magnetism is three dimensional and all our test gear is two... neo magnets also have a strong attraction for their own poles.

Another ampage mystery,

S.

Comment

Working...
      X