Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first build: should I buy a kit or parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first build: should I buy a kit or parts?

I've settled on a 5f1, and I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to buy the parts versus buying a kit. What's your opinion, and why? Where would you buy parts, or the kit?

I've got some good electronics buddies to help me through the process, and a bro-in-law who is building the cabinet.

What's your take?

That depends on where you buy the kit... My own experience... the first kit (a 5F1) I built was from Pat Bunn at STF simply because it was the least expensive but came with everything including instructions. It's nothing fancy but that didn't matter. I built a second one nearly identical to this but sourced all the parts myself... a good experience in researching and finding out what the individual parts cost. Final analysis: it was about the same cost maybe even a little more (due to seperate shipping costs from multiple suppliers) as the kit but I learned a hell of a lot along the way. If you just want to build an amp and learn about the amp, buy a kit - if you want the extra experience of finding good suppliers and choosing components as well as building an amp, maybe sourcing it yourself is the way to go. Have fun either way!

Comment

there's nothing wrong with buying a kit. you may pay a little more for the kit, but you'll have the added convenience of not having to source a lot of parts from different vendors.

i've never bought a kit, but there have been many times when i've been sourcing parts that i wish that i had!
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

And generally a kit has already thought of everything. You don't want to get half way done and realize you don;t have.... something you need.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm building my first kit right now - an Allen Accomplice (Allen Amplification - Quality Tube Guitar Amps, Kit, Parts, and Repairs). This is a well-thought-out product. David Allen has tweaked the design over the years, so I expect that the amp will sound great in the end. It was great to get all of the parts in one shipment. And the Allen Chihuahua is based on a Champ; the kit for that model is 'bare bones' (no instructions), and you could get it without the cab...

Comment

If you find a kit that's exactly what you want. No reason why you shouldn't get it. Building kit, one under my sleeve, is delightful. Building from scrap and several shipments is to, but getting parts to it can be a pain in the BEEEP. The over all price tag is more or less the same in both cases. (From my experience)
            In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

I've never built a kit amp and prefer to source for myself. A kit for a first build is a good way to get your feet wet. Beyond a first build, I don't think you learn nearly as much with a kit as thinking for yourself. Of course the main thing here is your comfort level, and skill level.

Best of luck on your build.

Pat Bunn is a decent guy BTW.
              DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

Working...
              X