Tube Slag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Slag

I just picked up a matching set of NOS RCA blackplate 6V6GT's. Nice set well matched. One of the tubes has a shard of glass in it (slag as I am told). Is this a problem? The tube will be mounted upside down. The glass is not conductive but I wonder about rattle or getting lodged into one of the grids. Unfortunately I haven't received delivery of the amp I am going to put them in.

Thanks in advance

Not likely to cause any problem. Not that uncommon.

Comment

That's what the seller said and I believe them. It looks like they had already run the entire stock on NOS on their tester and carefully labeled each box and who is going to toss an increasingly rare tube because it has a bit of slag in it?

Thanks for responding ...

Comment

Could it possibly be a little chunk of mica insulator rather than glass? I have seen lots of used tubes with little chunks of what looks like mica floating around inside the bottle, but it doesn't seem to affect the operation. Maybe it could have been dislodged by rough handling. Who knows what kind of life those old tubes have had before they made their way to our tube stash?
        -Boots

Comment

Working...
        X