Beginner, want to build a TAD 5F1 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motzu View Post
    You're right, and I did. The first thing I did was to pull out the resistor and measure it by itself. It's 45k.
    Just making sure you knew.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmitty View Post
      Just making sure you knew.
      No problem, thank you for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by JHow View Post
        In case you haven't seen it yet, I found this article interesting on the subject of carbon comp resistors and their "mojo" factor:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...carboncomp.htm
        Yep, I did, but being at the stage that I'm at, all I got from it was that if you get carbon comp resistors with your tube amp kit, use them, but they're worthless in pedals .

Comment

...if you get carbon comp resistors with your tube amp kit, use them...
          Yes. He suggested they might be of most use in place like your plate resistors (the two 100KR 1/2W resistors in your 5F1) where there is high voltage and large signal swings, and to avoid them in places like your cathodes (1500R 1/2W in your circuit), grid and input circuits.

From a practical standpoint, use whatever you have, as long as it is the right power and value. Many ancient CC resistors are out there in the world, doing their job every day.

Comment

Thanks!

In the meanwhile, I've started wiring the rectifier tube socket to the input transformer. Here's a TAD picture of how it's supposed to look:

What I'm not clear on is this: the layout says I should wire the two yellow wires to pins 2 and 8, and the two red wires to pins 4 and 6. But they don't say which of the pair goes where. I'm assuming that it doesn't matter? Any of the yellow wires can go to either pin 2 or 8, and any of the red wires to 4 or 6?

Comment

Nevermind, I figured out that that's AC, so it doesn't matter if the yellow or red wires get "reversed". Sorry for the dumb question.

Comment

...Sorry for the dumb question.
                He he, if you're nervous now, wait until the here-goes-nothing moment. If you haven't triple checked everything it can be some what dishearting.

I see that you've got some fingers pointed at you in this thread. You'll probably be zapped at some point. Just make sure it only one finger tasting the Bzzzzt. Always measure with one hand on your back.
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Well, I've built it and it works. Thankfully no debugging was necessary. I've measured the DC voltages inside and they're about 15-20% less than what the schematic says they would be, but the TAD schematic says that a +-10% difference is fine, and the original Fender schematic allows for +-20% so that should be OK.

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions!

Comment

Working...
                  X