Attaching P90 Dog Ear Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching P90 Dog Ear Covers

I know the mounting screws will hold the covers over the pickup when installed, however, if I'm shipping them to someone, how do I hold them in place without using bobbin screws. I see this a lot. I thought perhaps a dab of silicon glue?
    Chris Monck
    eguitarplans.com

Originally posted by tonedeciple View Post
    I know the mounting screws will hold the covers over the pickup when installed, however, if I'm shipping them to someone, how do I hold them in place without using bobbin screws. I see this a lot. I thought perhaps a dab of silicon glue?
    Nails. Can't go wrong. Or failing that just tie a length of string around the cover. It has to be vintage string though. You can also slip the whole pickup with cover on inside a tight fitting zip lock bag or a paper bag taped shut.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I wrap them in bubble-wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by tonedeciple View Post
        Used chewing gum?

Comment

A few good suggestions there including the nails, but make sure they are copper boat nals so not to cause any magnetic interference. My preference is a couple of 12 inch g cramps. Makes the packaging bulky but holds them a treat.

Comment

This is the correct answer. Vintage string. Jute twine is best for tone.
            My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Put them in cement blocks.

Or stick the mounting screws though, and use a small piece of cardboard with a hole in it to act like a nut to keep the screw in place. Then stick it on a block of styrofoam.

Or just use some tape.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
                This is the correct answer. Vintage string. Jute twine is best for tone.
                Ship them without the covers! When the customer calls to complain you can tell them that they must have gotten lost in shipment and for them to file a claim with UPS. That way you can save your vintage jute twine for wrapping your tele bridge pickups (just be sure to die it black with a vintage Sharpie- I have some stockpiled from 1988 that I am hoping to sell at boutique prices in a few years).

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Or stick the mounting screws though, and use a small piece of cardboard with a hole in it to act like a nut to keep the screw in place.
                  I tried that awhile back and they held me for observation 72 hours. Heck, I was lucky that they let me out at all!

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                    I tried that awhile back and they held me for observation 72 hours. Heck, I was lucky that they let me out at all!
                    That's because you forgot the cardboard with a hole in it.

And you had the ultraperm foil hat on.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                    X