Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn audio taper pot into linear pot?

Fix for a Linear taper Pot

This site says that you can turn a linear pot into a taper pot by adding a resistor between the wiper and ground. Is it possible to emulate this the other way around? I have a taper tone pot and rather than replace the pots I'd like to know if I can mod them to be more linear in their response.

Originally posted by jakeac5253 View Post
    Fix for a Linear taper Pot

This site says that you can turn a linear pot into a taper pot by adding a resistor between the wiper and ground. Is it possible to emulate this the other way around? I have a taper tone pot and rather than replace the pots I'd like to know if I can mod them to be more linear in their response.
    What you mean to say is, change a log (or audio) taper pot into a linear pot.

See here, Maybe there's a way:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...s/potscret.htm
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
      What you mean to say is, change a log (or audio) taper pot into a linear pot.

See here, Maybe there's a way:

The Secret Life of Pots
      Yes, precisely

From reading that over, I am guessing that I would need to add the resistor between the wiper and the the CW lug (the one that the cap is not connected to)?

Comment

Yes, precisely

From reading that over, I am guessing that I would need to add the resistor between the wiper and the the CW lug (the one that the cap is not connected to)?
        I was thinking the same thing. The way the article show to create a reverse log from linear. Wonder how close it would be?

Is this for guitar?
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

I've used this trick on M/N or A/B (log/anti-log) taper blend pots to get a bit more of a linear taper response.

I used a 150K resistor on a 250K pot.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
            I was thinking the same thing. The way the article show to create a reverse log from linear. Wonder how close it would be?

Is this for guitar?
            Thanks, yes it is for guitar. It's for a mod project I am doing for a friend. I bought some pots from stew mac and they did not specify whether they were linear or taper. It was careless on my part, but I'd like to fix it regardless.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            I've used this trick on M/N or A/B (log/anti-log) taper blend pots to get a bit more of a linear taper response.

I used a 150K resistor on a 250K pot.
            Thanks. So it needs to be a fairly large percentage of the pot value? They are 1M pots and I have some 680k resistors on the way to my house. Do you think those would work? The tone knobs do nothing above 5 and all of the taper seems to be between 3 and 0. I know using 1m pots on a tone cap is bad, but that's what he wanted.

Comment

Project Guitar :: Tweeking pot's and 3 very common treble bleed modifications

This site states that you can turn a higher value pot into a lower value one by adding a resistor across the outside lugs. This seems to me to be more important that it is across the input and ground though. If I were to do this using a tone pot, would I have to put the resistor across the center lug to ground to the same effect?

Comment

The resistor from the wiper to the unused lug did not work. It resulted in the tone pot really not doing much of anything, you can hear that the pot was being moved, but it wasn't what you expected a tone knob to do. I removed it. I should have tried the same resistor from the wiper to cap lug, but soldering fatigue set in and I failed to return to the project. Perhaps one of these days I will.

Comment

The resistor from the wiper to the unused lug did not work. It resulted in the tone pot really not doing much of anything, you can hear that the pot was being moved, but it wasn't what you expected a tone knob to do. I removed it. I should have tried the same resistor from the wiper to cap lug, but soldering fatigue set in and I failed to return to the project. Perhaps one of these days I will.
                  It has to be from the wiper to the lug with the cap.. however I'm not sure this is a good idea for a tone cap, since that will simulate the tone control being turned down part way even when on 10.

Rather than use 1M tone pots, why not use a Fender TBX tone control? When on 10 you take the cap out of the circuit via a 1 Meg pot.

Or get a "no load" tone pot.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X