Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Fender Reissue

Hello this is my first post
    After leaving the amp on then switching on the Standby the amp makes a lot of noise then quiets down.
    Then playing a low frequency power chord the speakers
    sound fuzzy and crackle . Playing a high chord not not so much. I just replaced the reverb pan which had an open.

Sounds like microphonic tubes or dirty tube sockets.

With the amp set up as you normally play it, but no guitar plugged in, tap on the tubes and see if the amp makes noises.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by kgreenman View Post
      Hello this is my first post
      After leaving the amp on then switching on the Standby the amp makes a lot of noise then quiets down.
      Then playing a low frequency power chord the speakers
      sound fuzzy and crackle . Playing a high chord not not so much. I just replaced the reverb pan which had an open.
      How old are the power tubes? That's what it's sounding like to me. It's fairly common for tubes to make odd noises when hit with HV, but if it's excessive you want to rule them out.

Comment

I had a similar problem that turned out to be an unused input jack gone bad. They are equipped with a little spring-switch that closes the circuit when not in use. A lot of newer amps use cheap jacks that are prone to failure. You can test your input jacks by plugging into each one and playing. If your amp works normally when plugged into one but not the others, you've found the bad one. If the amp sounds bad through all of them, you've eliminated the jacks. Move on.

Comment

Could be a bad filter cap.

Comment

thank you for your help. I have put in my friends tubes and the amp
            sounds much better and louder. The amp still is fuzzy when a low E or power chord is hit sometimes but clear most of the time. I just heard the amp pop with reverb. The pop was not a loud one.
            Last edited by kgreenman; 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X