Speakers from Hammond A-100 Organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers from Hammond A-100 Organ

Hey everybody, I pulled the speakers from my 1963 hammond a-100 organ.

I was wondering if anyone knows about these speakers. I don't know much about speakers, but they seem to have an alnico magnet, and are 12" diameter.

I'm wondering if these would work well with a 5E3. Has anyone used them before?

Pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0290.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	815.0 KB
ID:	862576

Name:	CIMG0289.jpg
Size:	850.8 KB
ID:	862577

Name:	CIMG0292.jpg
Size:	1,018.6 KB
ID:	862578

Since Hammond didn't use any horns for high end response, my guess is they ought to sound very good for guitar. My Dad had an A100, and the inboard speakers could get pretty loud. They also have good bass response.

Comment

Most likely 16 ohm. My M-101 has 2 nice 16 ohm alnicos. Should be able to search the interweb for a schematic to be sure.

Comment

They are definitely 8 ohm speakers, I've checked the schematics. Almost done with my amp, can't wait to at least try one of em out.

Comment

Those look like real fine speakers. Is there a number printed on the rim of the frame???

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

They sure do have numbers on the rim: A0-23232-0 575242

Comment

I believe those speakers were made by Heppner. Possibly for Magnavox originally but certainly they ended up in that Hammond organ. Lots of Hammonds used Heppner speakers (I'm finding out). I find mixed reviews about thier use as guitar speakers. The impression I get is that they are just OK. But some say great while others say poor. There is some speculation that there was a change in MFGing for Heppner along the way and one MFG made for good guitar amp speakers and the other did not. It's really hard to be sure since the stuff I'm reading was written by players. Some of whom have never even seen a stage or a turret board. It's hard to take these posts too seriously. So all I've found is lore and opinion. The high power metal heads don't like 'em and some of the tweed guys do. I also get the impression they are lower efficiency speakers than Jensen or Celestion speakers used in guitar amps.

HTH

Chuck
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X