No announcement yet.

Help with wierd tone control behavior.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wierd tone control behavior.

Hi.

I have a 74 tele. Strange thing is that when I roll down the tone control, the bass goes away instead of the treble!

Wiring is stock, and looks good. And, bridge pickup works as it should with the tone control.

Does this mean the pickup is bad?

Thanks!

Jake

No. It may meanm someone wired up the tone control differently, whether intentionally or by accident.

Comment

Mark, my fellow inquirer into the human mind! It's me-Jake! How have you been? (I hope well!).

Regarding the pickup... it's possible I altered something in the wiring, though I have rechecked a gazillioln times. Also, to eliminate all possibilities I went so far as to wire the neck pickup directly to the volume lug (disconnecting the switch), and found the same results. I then used a separate, external R-C string to emulate the tone control and got the same results.

I am not too familiar with pickup electronics. But I'm wondering if the pickup could be broken somehow, thus making it interact with the tone control to form a high pass filter. Totally stumped, I am...

Good to see your typing again!

Jake

Comment

So your saying bridge pickup works fine, volume and tone. neck pickup, volume works, when you turn tone down, you lose low end instead of high end?
        Have you checked the resistance of the neck pickup?

Comment

Yes. That's it exactly.

I have not yet measured the pickup resistance.

I'll do that and report back.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X