Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you put between your guitar and amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12´ Cable (Summercable Spirit XXL, Amphenol Jacks)
    My effect is plugged in the parallel fx-loop: a space echo re-201. I´m playing an bf SuperCloneMarshallThingythingwhatever..

Comment

Normally just straight in. Giggin' out, a univibe clone and maybe a buffer'd Crybaby. Thats it.....if you have the tone you want there's no need to screw with it.....
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

When I'm practicing or playing at home I just like to plug straight in to either of my "mini" amps - my little Blackstar HT5 most often (5W amp) or Vox Night Train (7/15W). I don't bother with pedals much at all when playing for myself. It's easy to fiddle with amp settings to get whatever sound I want.

But... and that's a BIG BUT... the band I'm in has alot of different sounds so when practicing with the band or playing out a pedalboard is the way I go. I have some rack units, but I've opted to go the pedal route for now for quick sound changes.

Q-tron envelope filter for the funk sounds is a cool little pedal.
        I have several different OD/Distortions depending on song I use Jeckyl/Hyde, Fulltone OCD, or Moen Violent Metal.
        Right now I'm using an H2O pedal for chorus/delay, but also like the transparency of the Moen Chorus sound too.
        Rocktron Big Crunch Compression really helps on clean sounds.
        Boss EQ for a boost if needed.
        Polytuner
        Alot of these are pedals are true bypass
        All of it run on Voodoo Labs pedal power plus

Comment

I like to put my amp on something to get the speakers level with my pickups, turn it up (sweet spot) but play softly and with my amp operating properly, I never run out of interesting sounds. When it's always just about to feedback, it's like surfing a wave... no effect boxes necessary. The only time I tend to use boxes is when I am recording. I still love the classic germanium transistor fuzzface (unmodded).

Comment

Not really in order...Korg Pitchblack tuner, boss ns-2 noise surpressor on very low setting if I even use it, Ts-9 tube screamer, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet (my FAVORITE pedal, amazing thing.) then I have a boss dd-3, electro harmonix holy stain(getting rid of it, just isnt for me). and the Visual Sound h2o chorus. I plan on switching a couple things up soon. Anyone try out the van amps soulmate? I have been drooling over one!
            Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Gigging - two setups
              1. Fender tuner - When I play comp guitar. This is in a pop/rock band.
              2. Different Fuzz boxes, Fender tuner - I play Fuzz guitar in a band with a bit of a retro sound going on.
              In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

I never could bond with a pedal board, or stomp boxes altogether. I gave them a good try though, owning all sorts of effects from cheapies to DIY to way high end stuff. When it's all said and done I just really prefer to play whatever guitar straight into a Fender[style] amp. It just doesn't get any better than that for me, in my experience.
                ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

I use a splitter into two amps and build my sound that way,
                  straight in to the amps,
                  It depends on the day but an example would be:
                  1st amp: into the simple channel without reverb on it,
                  2nd amp: into the main channel that has reverb and 3 gains.

I try to set them set up like Melvin said above, but with old P90s in a hollow body it is tricky riding the edge of feedback wave.

Comment

Played in the host band for an open mike night for the past year. Signal chain:

Squier Strat w/1 GFS Retrotron pickup and 1 volume knob, into
                    70's MXR+ (always on a little), into
                    Boss DS1, then
                    Arion CH1 chorus, to
                    Boss DDR 3 delay, to
                    Planet Waves tuner, to
                    73 Silverface Deluxe.

Can fake a lot of different sounds with this setup for cover tunes

Comment

earache, Love the silverface deluxe, people give the silverface alot of bad rep but I think they are sweet!
                      Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Yeah Hella, there's not much difference between a Blackface DR and a Silverface DR. Not so with other BF to SF comparisons - for instance, later Silverface Twin has bigger transformer and is louder and cleaner, later ones can never really be modded back to the BF specs completely. Anyway, I love that SF DR!

Comment

Digitech GNX4

Originally posted by Gibsonman63 View Post
                          I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys run between your guitar and your amp (besides cable) or in your effects loop.

For me, I like simplicity. My pedalboard consists of a Boss tuner, a Dunlap Wah, my Ibanez UE-300 and an MXR Phase 90.

I bought the UE-300 new in 1982. It suposedly has the XX-9 circuits. I only use the tube screamer in mine. I have a half a dozen other distortion pedals including a TS-9RI, TS-808RI and a TS-9 clone and I would like to use something smaller, but I can't find anything else I like as much even though they come close.

Normally, all the effects are off and I run just guitar and amp. I use the UE-300 for boost on solos, I use the Wah for a few solos in conjunction with the UE-300 and I use the Phase 90 for one or two songs.
                          ==================================

First off less is best with FX said and done --

I like shimmering reverbs the likes of older Fender guitar amps and the like , and Hammond organs spring reverbs .

I like delay analog is too cool and there are digital too I like .

Tube distortion like my little Gibson Skylark ( 50s ) and my Gretsch 40s Electromatic . My Carvins got it made with tubes ( X-60 ) and a fender like spring reverb .

With these amps I use nothing .

But .

Wow enter the 21st. world and run with the best stuff you can get for the bang of your $ is my philosophy .

I work with a lot of guys from the 50s and 60s . Veterans at the game , some are legends ( living ones too ) and depending on where I play dictates what set up I want to take to the gig .

Lately I have gone through P . A . s directly on some gigs and when I do that I use my Digitech GNX4 .

Example :

last week I did a rehearsal session and took my DAW to hook into my little Polytone SS P . A . / harp & guitar .

Used a tad of delay from my GNX4 and let it's own spring reverb do it's stuff and wow what a marriage !

Stood up against a Marshall 100 watt tube w/4X12 cab . No problem at all being heard in the rehearsal room what so ever .

I use a Eric Johnson preset patch with out the stomp engaged or any other FXS . What a tripped out sounding result - it's a gigging keeper it is .

The less if best is true as can be . But it's nice to have other FXs stuff to play around sound shaping wise - who knows for certain what will be the result(s) .

I dig B . B . King - TBone Walker - Joe Pass - Charlie Christian and all the classic greats before my generation . I dig Jimi H. - Jeff Beck - Jimmy Page - George Benson and the newer guns like Eric Johnson - Ben Harper - Vince Gil - Brad Paisley . The list doesn't end there .

Beside the sounds of the 40s-50s-60s-70s to present I like them all and I also like getting cosmic to in Soniclandia ....

Those from the 60s and 70s saw and heard it at those concerts Bill Grahm put together across the USA from NY to San Fransisco . That's where my Digitech GNX4 takes me when I want to go there

At 60 it's a total rush to get there !

Easy .

Hurricane Ramon

Comment

Hi all,

I use only three pedals. A Korg Pitchblack tuner, a modded Crybaby, and a Digitech Bad Monkey for extra boost. All three are powered by a VoodooLab Pedal Power 2 Plus.
                            I play many different genres, so I use a Hughes & Kettner Triamp, which gives me 6 different voicings ranging from Fenderish clean to hot-rodded Marshall high gain. Beyond that, any effects that are used are usually added at the console after a part has been recorded. Most of the details of my tone (beyond the fingers) come from my choice of preamp tubes and tone caps in my guitar.

Comment

I use a Boss DM-2 analog delay for some subtle ambience and usually one overdrive pedal. Lately it's been a DOD OD/250 or a Boss SD-1. My amp is a modded 5E3 Proluxe and I try to set it up for different situations by swapping tubes in V1 and the rectifier. I can usually get pretty close but the OD pedal comes in handy. Particularly when I can't turn up loud enough to get the drive and sustain I want from the amp... and it's always good to have an ace in the hole when things do get loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X