60's Thunderbird bass pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's Thunderbird bass pickups?

A friend of mine just picked up a nonreverse Gibson Thunderbird copy I made for him. He has 60's Thunderbird pickup chrome covers and he'd like to have replica pickups made for them. Does anybody know what's inside those 60's Tbird bass pickups? Pics, magnet type, ohms, wire gauge, coil shape??
    Marko

again always best to do a forum search. This question came up in 2007 so it's a start for you..
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t2984/

Comment

I make them- the early versions. Right now i dont have metal covers made yet so all i have complete is replacements for Epiphones with the plastic covers but if you supply the metal cover I can build the guts and bottom plate
      lollarguitars.com etc

Comment

He has a friend who is making pickups so all we need is some info about the pickups. So pics, bobbin measurements, ohms and wire info still needed.
        Marko

Comment

sorry i realised you may have wanted to make it yourself after i posted but we do get people asking us to build pickups for them here occasionally.
          Thats one pickup i am not willing to share specs on- it took me too many years to get access to a working one that I could take apart!
          i can tell you its a larger version of a firebird pickup- you will have to have magnets made for it so its not something you can easily reproduce.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
            sorry i realised you may have wanted to make it yourself after i posted but we do get people asking us to build pickups for them here occasionally.
            Thats one pickup i am not willing to share specs on- it took me too many years to get access to a working one that I could take apart!
            i can tell you its a larger version of a firebird pickup- you will have to have magnets made for it so its not something you can easily reproduce.
            Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm glad I'm not the one who's making the pickups. I suppose the guy who wants them is happy with something similar sounding as the looks is more important than the exact sound for him. So I guess he's going to have something like a larger firebird pickup made.
            Marko

Comment

I've done three T-Bird pickups in NOS chrome covers. I didn't even try and copy the original pickups though, I just put my pickups in the covers... but that's what the customers wanted.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Who sells parts to build these???

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                  Who sells parts to build these???
                  No one as far as I know. There was a couple of people on eBay selling the covers. The one I know about is:

Greatdealz1967 items - Get great deals on Guitar Parts, Switches items on eBay Stores!

They have some nice NOS Gibson parts. I got an LP bass neck and some LP Recording (Triumph) bass pickup parts.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X