Cabinet Pic's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Pic's

I've got a batch of four pine Deluxe cabinets in works, so I thought I would post some pic's. The boxs are all glued up and three of them have the front trim on. Next I have to glue the back cleats on. Then round over the edges and install the baffle and back pannels. I cut the baffles and rear pannels on the cnc at work and the rest was done in my shop. I'm hoping trade some cabinets for 5e3 parts or just put up on flea-bay, we'll see.

jay
    Attached Files

Some nice work there JayDawg! Looks like youve got a few projects going, the guitar on the stand there has a rather unique design, is the body semi-hollow?. . . I build all my own cabinits & being a novice part time wood worker I can appriciate the work that goes into nice cabinit work. Tweed covering always leaves me wondering whats underneath.

JOE
    Resistors not Transistors !

Comment

Joe,
      Thanks for the kind words. The guitar in the background is one of my own designs. Its a semi-hollow with a 25" scale, mahogany body with a maple cap.

jay

Comment

Porter Cable Dovetail, Box joint jig

Hello Jay!

Originally posted by jaydawg
        I've got a batch of four pine Deluxe cabinets in works, so I thought I would post some pic's.
        jay
        How do you like the PC Dovetail/Box joint jig? I have been looking closely at it althought I do have a Harbor Freight dovetail jig that I have built some nice drawers with but the setup was really tedious. I built a box joint jig a while back but have not have much luck with it and want something I can count on - retirement is knocking at my door!
        ..Joe L

Comment

Joe-

I'm very very happy with the PC dovetail jig. Its a breaze to setup. Its built well, and is a great value$$$$. I started out five years ago with the cheap ($30) Sears jig. It was fine if you only needed it every great now and again, but it was such a pain to set up and built so poorly that I was never very happy with it. About a year ago Woodcraft was having a sale on the PC jig ($140) so I went out and got one. It's worth every penny. I also build cabinets and what ever other side work comes my way so the PC jig has seen a lot of use in the last year or so.

I also just finished the batch of cabs that I started this thread about. I'll be putting them up for sale or trade in the flea market section of this site and few others.

Here's a few more pics...

jay
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jaydawg; 07-09-2006, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Hi Jay,
            Nice Cabinet work.I'm a cab builder from Australia and was wondering if you had the plans of the Narrow Panel Super.I basically need the Cutout size for the head. Have you had any experience with this cab,

Cheers
            Watto

Comment

Jay,

Nice work. I've got a couple of questions about the order of work. Do you cut and glue up the dovetailed planks before cutting the inset for the front panels? If so, do you cut them on a table saw, what is the order of cuts?

Also, when cutting the panels and baffle, what is the allowance for grill cloth and or tweed/tolex?

Thanks,

Howard

Comment

Howard, this is the order I do it.

1 Cut and square the top, bottom and sides.
                2 Cut the control cutout in the top.
                3 Cut the taper on the sides.
                4 Cut dovetails..
                5 Glue up box.
                6 Cut rabbits for the top and bottom valences. (sp?)
                7 Glue in valences.
                8 Run the 1/2" roundover on all edges.

On the baffle I leave 3/32" per side and an 1/8" on the top ans bottom for tweed and grill cloth. For the rear pannels I leave 1/8" on all sides. I then use an 1/8" spacer to set the baffle and rear pannels.

Hope that helps.

jason

Comment

How do you cut the rabit? Tablesaw?

Comment

Yup, on the table saw with a dado set. You have to move the fence to the left side of the blade to cut the top rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydawg View Post
                      Joe-

I'm very very happy with the PC dovetail jig. Its a breaze to setup. Its built well, and is a great value$$$$.
                      It looks like your finger joint width is 3/8" or 1/2". Is it possible to do 1/4" finger joints with the jig? I guess I need to download the PDF manual if it is available and check it out in detail. In the meantime, I have a few days off for Easter and the yard is mowed and weeded so I'm looking to make some small boards out of big ones!
                      ..Joe L

Comment

Working...
                      X